Doctor Chae spun on his heel and strode over to his son's side, glowering the entire way. Hyungwon's eyes never once left his father's. He never flinched as his father stopped in front of him with boots crunching hard on the asphalt. He never blinked when his father leaned down to spit in his face.

"You and your friends better not try anything funny," Doctor Chae growled through clenched teeth, voice low. "I'm offering you a gift. You best be smart and take advantage of it, or I will not hesitate to allow these men to shoot every last one of you before you can even move an inch."

A beat of silence. Hyungwon refused to answer, instead watching his father carefully as he stood forced to wait for a response.

"Of course," Hyungwon finally sneered into the open air. "Father."

"Mind yourself, boy," Doctor Chae's voice held a dangerous edge as he snapped back almost instantly. You watched silently with everyone else as the only hint of growing fury betrayed him through narrowed eyes. A touch of fear snuck its way through your stomach, twisting and curling ruthlessly like a snake. "I raised you. Fed you. Gave you a roof over your head. You obtained luxuries that never would have crossed your path had you not been my son."

"Don't act like I should be grateful," Hyungwon viciously spat, refusing to shy away from his father's challenge. "You beat me. Treated me like dirt. Acted like my existence was an inconvenience for you. I was alone... I had no one until I had them."

The muscle in the older man's jaw clenched slightly, glare boring into his son's. Your heart clenched painfully within your chest. Hyungwon's eyes revealed all he wished to express to his father... the hurt, the betrayal, the longing. Everything except fear. It seems his fear had finally run dry, evident by the way he matched his father's hostile demeanor with every steady breath he drew into his lungs and every flare of the inferno burning deep in his irises.

"I'm the one sparing you and your group of nobodies," hissed Doctor Chae as a mixture of agitation and barely restrained wrath dripped off each syllable. "If not for me, they all would be dead. Don't you forget that. Don't you ever say I never did anything for you."

Hyungwon had no time to fire back. For the first time since The Commander had dragged your group into custody by the scruffs of your necks and with guns to your heads, the wave of a single hand held enough power to finally loosen the restraints on your arms. Gone went the ache of your muscles twisted into unnatural positions for the sake of cruel control. Gone went the confines of oppression. Sparing a glance around the clearing, you caught sight of the others as the remaining soldiers followed orders and reluctantly released their tight bonds. Guns lowered from their dangerous positions despite fingers still hovering over triggers should any of you attempt to fight again. Shownu and Wonho were the first to slowly rise to their feet, massaging their biceps and wrists before reaching to help Jooheon and Kihyun. Changkyun—being the least injured—stubbornly swatted away Wonho's helping hand insisting that he could handle himself. Wonho released a soft chuckle and resorted to affectionately ruffling the younger's hair, knowing full well that Changkyun wanted them to focus on helping Kihyun instead of him.

Seconds after all men backed away, Shownu rushed over to Minhyuk's side, hastily checking him over for any injuries and asking carefully if he was alright. Minhyuk nodded silently with a tight smile, yet you easily noticed how it didn't quite reach his eyes. Apparently you weren't the only one, Shownu nodding his head solemnly and refusing to push any further. As he pulled Minhyuk up to balance on unsteady legs, Minhyuk cast you a sideways glance in a wordless effort to catch your attention. But your eyes lay elsewhere.

As he continued to watch his son struggle to find his footing, Doctor Chae carefully followed Hyungwon's unfaltering gaze which had changed focus the instant his arms had fallen free. The Doctor's eyes raked down your body with an air of disdain before pushing his tongue into the hollow of his cheek as if he had to physically restrain himself from cutting you with his biting words. He didn't need to speak for you to understand his message: you're barely worth the dirt under my feet and yet you are the one my son chose.