Chapter 20

"Stop!"

A voice boomed from behind you, freezing everyone. Even The Commander paused his movements, instead swiveling on his heel with his eyes blown wide in surprise. Several men could be heard taking sharp intakes of breath.

Despite casting your gaze over your shoulder, a cloud of dust had risen, obscuring your vision and stinging your eyes. But you knew that voice.

"Father," Hyungwon breathed. His eyes remained unreadable as his head snapped up in alarm. The men holding him instantly jerked to attention, albeit refusing to loosen their hold on his arms.

Doctor Chae strode through the chaotic scene, glaring down his nose at the familiar faces who met his hostile eyes with equal fire. When he spoke, his voice dripped with disdain as he targeted his next words towards his son. "I figured you wouldn't be alone."

Hyungwon said nothing. The initial shock had worn off his face, leaving behind an emotionless wall that he had learned to build over the course of years in an attempt to protect himself from the onslaught of abuse laid upon him by his father.

No one spoke. No one moved. You knew that the soldiers weren't going to heed The Commander anymore since someone of a higher power stood in their presence. Even though Hyungwon's father was a medical professional, his usefulness had granted him a higher rank in these troops and thus a higher authority. You were sure that it hadn't just been his profession, though. You knew he was a smart man. A cunning man. There was no doubt in your mind that he had done whatever he could to crawl his way higher. The fear in the soldiers' eyes as they waited for his instructions was enough of a giveaway.

You were looking into the eyes of a man with no mercy.

Doctor Chae took a careful glance around the clearing, studying the situation almost leisurely before making his way over to The Commander with calculated strides. The men stood at attention and you nearly flinched as the grip on your arms tightened painfully out of anxiety. Tension hung in the air, thick enough to almost choke you.

"Let them go."

Your jaw dropped. If you had taken a moment to glance around, you would have noticed almost everyone else doing the same, clearly taken aback at the blunt request. Many of them shifted nervously, completely unsure of what to do since they had already garnered their prize. All their efforts would have been in vain if they released anyone. What was going on?

"But sir..." The Commander swallowed as he tried not to crumble under his superior's deadly gaze, voice retaining its authoritative undertone despite making sure to use all proper honorifics. He didn't want to lose face in front of his men. "We were given strict orders to deliver this boy—"

"And do you not also follow strict orders under my authority?" Doctor Chae snarled harshly, visibly annoyed at the man's hesitancy. "He may be your recruitment project, but he's also my son. Believe me when I say he's not worth your time."

Another attempt. "Sir, we can't just let them go—"

"Question my orders one more time, Commander Suk, and it will be the last breath you ever take."

The Commander's facade broke. Straightening his posture, he merely nodded his head. You couldn't help but feel a rush of satisfaction. Finally the tables had turned. After all these years of bullying innocent citizens, he had been put back into place himself, scolded like a misbehaved puppy. You basked in the glory of witnessing it firsthand despite knowing it would only last a brief moment.

"They're nothing to us," Doctor Chae repeated with disdain dripping off every word. "Let them go, and nature will claim them before they have the chance to blink. At least they won't be around to cause trouble anymore."