Without warning you threw your arms around him, body shaking from the shock.

"Thank you," you cried into his shoulder. Nothing felt normal. You had been running for God knows how long ever since the explosions started. You never looked back to see who else was running. You never looked back once. For all you knew, a friend could have died. Guilt tugged at your heart as the last thought made its way to the front of your mind.

"You would have done the same for me," he smiled. You pulled away to see part of his face covered in a thick mixture of blood and grime. His blonde hair was a disheveled mess, the tips visibly singed. Clothes hung from his frame, clearly not spared from the harsh environment either. Soot from the air plastered the fabric in thick layers and a large rip ran from the top of his shoulder to the elbow of his jacket sleeve, exposing the ragged shirt underneath.

"Oh my god," Jooheon ran up to the two of you, Changkyun close on his heels. "Oh my god, are you two alright?"

The reunion was dramatic to say the least. Jooheon wrapped Wonho in a hug that left his ribs close to crushed. Changkyun was less expressive, yet his eyes shone in relief as he gave your shoulder a small, comforting squeeze accompanied with a smile. Jooheon released a sputtering Wonho and reached out to envelop you in a warm embrace that would melt away the terror still running rampant through your veins.

You couldn't help it. You flinched. You jerked away from him; from his warmth. He tried to reach for you—for your pain—but you just... couldn't. And you knew his heart was filled with the most loving intentions, yet past actions had resurfaced in your mind, causing your body to move without thinking; drawing away and curling in on yourself as the fear crept back into your heart—digging, clawing, and refusing to let go.

Jooheon noticed. You saw the realization reach his eyes before anything else, first flashing with confusion before several other emotions—hurt, guilt, sympathy, understanding—clouded his irises. Your distance was torture, that much was for sure, but he knew better. He backed off. He gave you space. He didn't question. Because he knew it was his fault. He broke your trust, inflicted wounds, and you needed time to suture them until they healed. If they healed.

So he withdrew, his hands moving slowly into fists at his sides as if he had to control the urge to reach for you again. He opted to give you a small smile, but you noticed with a heavy heart that it didn't quite reach his eyes.

"Where are the others?" Wonho broke the awkward tension, side-eyeing you and Jooheon suspiciously. You could tell he wanted to ask about the sudden behavior change, but you avoided his gaze.

"We don't know," Changkyun rasped out. "We've been following you two, but we were lucky we could even keep pace with all that crap blowing up in our faces."

Wonho's brows furrowed in confusion. Your head whipped up as well. No one else had shown up, you realized, it was just the four of you. A strange calm descended upon the rubble surrounding your group, throwing the world into an unsettling silence. Only ash and dust hovered in the air, no longer disturbed by the force of stone and flame.

"So we're..." you started, eyes wide. Panic seized your lungs as your disturbed thoughts drifted to Minhyuk, Hyungwon, Kihyun, and Shownu. And what you imagined was nothing short of cruelty.

"Split up? It appears so."

* * *

"HEY!"

"You again?"

"LET ME GO-"

Kihyun's loud protests were cut off as the sound of fighting broke out in the distance. It was loud; echoing off cold, broken buildings and rubble that littered every inch of space in the deserted street. Those houses used to be warm; occupied. Civilians used to be happy and free to enjoy their life. A life where peace was an option. But Hyungwon shuddered to think of what happened to those people.