Chapter 10

Luke’s POV

I stand at my locker before the 1st bell scanning through students in the hallway, I’m pretty sure, looking like the world’s biggest creeper. When I don’t see who I’m looking for, I slam my locker closed in frustration.

“Whoa there, ace!” Chase comes up behind and swings an arm around my neck. “You’re going to open up those stitches.”

I push him away, shaking my head. “Give me a break, man. The wolfsbane is almost completely out of my system now. I’ll be alright,” I say, massaging my sore shoulder and wincing at the offending wound with the stitches.

A werewolf’s healing capabilities far surpass any human’s, which is a plus but at the same time not so much. It’s a plus because any gaping wounds, scrapes, or bruises we get heal within a couple hours, if not seconds. It’s not all that great though because if we sustain any broken bones, if not set properly, heal wrongly. When Zayne brought me in, Aunt Cyrstel shot my up with 10mg of wolfsbane to stop my healing; any more than 10 and it would have killed me since wolfsbane is a poison to our systems.

Thanks to that stuff, I’ve been as weak as a human for the past week and a half; all my senses have been dulled to whopping 10%, I’m slower than an asthmatic kid during pollen season, and I haven’t been able to shift at all. I’m antsy, irritable, and the only person that can keep me from going full on crazy is nowhere to be found. Ever since Chase walked in on us at the hospital, I haven’t seen or heard from Zayne since.

I look over Chase’s shoulder and spot Clinton walking down the hall. “I got to go,” I say offhandedly to Chase.

Before I can head down the hall Chase grabs my arm and I snap my attention, and irritation, at him now. “What?”

“Come on, man, let him go. Is he really worth all your effort?” he asks, looking concerned. There’s no need in asking him who’s he talking about because I already know. I’ve been hearing this same speech since last week. “I know you’re frantic to find him, but what if he doesn’t want to be found? You know what they’re saying about him--”

I jerk my arm away and slam Chase against the lockers, growling close to his face. “Who? Who is saying what about him?”

Chase pales and struggles to talk. “He’s no good, man! Everybody knows about his --tendencies. He doesn’t care who or what it is; male, female, vampire, human. Hell, he’ll fuck a tree if the need arises. As long as he has someone to pass the time with, he’s peachy. He’s just a goddamn whore--”

I punch the locker inches from his face leaving a huge dent in the metal  and glare down at him. “Don’t you EVER talk about him like that again! If I hear you say another bad thing about him, I swear to the goddess, I’ll punch you the fuck out!” I whisper menacingly. My Alpha powers are subdued right now so it was more of a suggestion than an order, but that didn’t mean I wouldn’t follow through on my threat.

Anger flashes over his face but he keeps his mouth shut. Happy that my message was received, I let go of his collar and watch him catch his balance before striding over to Clinton. Our little pow-wow has drawn the attention of most of the student body but I couldn’t care less right now. I was itching for a scratch and if I pounded some guys face in, I expected my mate to take full responsibility,even if that meant hurting my best friend.

I make it five steps when I hear Chase yell, “Damn it Luke, he’s a guy! A fucking DUDE, man! Not to mention a bloodsucker. What’s wrong with you! That’s so ga--”

He doesn’t finish his sentence before I punch him as hard as I can in the face, breaking his nose and, I believe, his jaw. He goes down like a ton of bricks and I hear gasps all over the room, but I just stand over him staring down at the guy that used to be my best friend.