EIGHTEEN // Piper

Start from the beginning

He's asking if it's okay? He's too sweet; I don't deserve him in my life. I furrow my eyebrows thinking about it, tilting my head slightly to look at him strangely.

"Yeah. Why?"

"I dunno," He says quietly, shrugging his shoulders. Thankfully he leans forward on his desk, back away from me. "I didn't know if me being there would stress you out more or somethin'."

Again, I don't deserve him. I smile slightly at the genuine concert written across his features. It confuses me and makes my chest feel warm at the same time.

"S'fine," I assure him with a small nod.

I drop my left hand back to my desk, my other hand wanting to draw some more, but there's no space left. I've drawn on the page already before today.

"You okay?"

I don't look at Mic as I answer him with a nod. "Yeah. Stressed."

Without hesitation, he says, "You'll do great."

I exhale sharply again, propping my head back up. The stress is tiring me out already. "If you say so."

"I do," He says pointedly, sounding like he's already convinced himself of the fact. "You'll remember all your music, and you'll sing flawlessly."

"Now you're spreading lies," I say dryly.

"I'm spreading optimism."

"You're being silly," I smile, rolling my eyes.

I see him shrug half-heartedly, like it doesn't matter. "Yeah, but it's worth it."

I turn my head to ask him what he means by that, but then our teacher is greeting the class, so I never get a chance to ask, and I forget about it a few moments later.

+++

When I get in choir, all the chairs are stacked in the back of the room as usual. They get stacked up on days when we need to use the risers built into the classroom for practicing before the concert.

As I pass the piano, I hear Madison asking Miller if we can use our music during the concert. The only snippet of his answer that I catch is him saying we'll talk about it in class. I can feel my stress levels rising already.

I toss my stuff in the front of the class, next to Taylors, before walking back and sitting down next to her on the risers. She's on her phone, and I sneakily look over to see her texting Tyler. I smile slightly, wondering if she's asking him to come tonight.

I get out my phone as well, busying myself with a game when a text comes up on my phone, from the one and only, Micah Anderson.

>Mic: do you have any grapes?

I nearly roll my eyes, but instead furrow my eyebrows in confusion. I have no idea where this one is going.

>Um...no?

He replies back almost instant, and this time I really do roll my eyes.

>Mic: how about a date?

>You're hilariously stupid.

>Mic: at least it made you laugh

I smile, putting my phone in my pocket after that. I don't know what to reply to him, and thankfully Miller is starting class, so I don't have to worry about thinking of one.