TWENTY-FOUR // Piper

OH, SO THAT'S A
TRUNK-OR-TREAT

True to his word, Micah can crack two eggs with one hand. I seriously thought he was trying to mess with me.

I have a video of it on my phone for the sake of Tyler's reaction – it was overly dramatic, although I think he intended for it to be that way.

After we baked and iced the cupcakes, Tyler's mom returns to the kitchen with a bag of toothpicks that have paper Halloween pictures on the end of them. She tells us to the stick those in the cupcakes and then come on out for dinner.

We do as we're told, and then head out to eat. It's a lot quieter out now and it takes me a second to realize that it's because all of the kids are inside. They're getting dressed in their costumes while the parents get their trunks set up, along with the help of the few teenagers who refuse to dress up and get sucked into setting up instead. I almost laugh at one teen looking particularly annoyed. I know the feeling, bud.

There are tables set up by the grill where Tyler's dad put the hotdogs and hamburgers. I grab a hamburger and a bag of chips while Micah grabs a hotdog. He chuckles when I make a face at his dinner choice.

"What? Hotdogs are good," He tries to defend it, but it doesn't work.

"They're literally the most disgusting thing on the planet," I state seriously.

I grab a water out of the cooler and head over to the picnic table where Tyler and Taylor are currently doing more goofing off than eating. I smile slightly as I watch them, though. I like seeing her happy with someone. She deserves it.

I sit down opposite of Taylor and Tyler, leaving the seat next to me for Micah who arrives at the table a second later.

The dinner consists of Micah opening my water for me after he saw me struggling – even though I don't ask him to. I then wipe the bottle, soaked with condensation, across his cheek when he calls me a 'weakling'.

"Oh, god," Mic groans, wiping his cheek on his shoulder.

I laugh at him, taking a sip of my water. "You brought that upon yourself. Wonder Woman is never weak."

He laughs, his smile reaching his eyes. "Okay, Pipes."

The nickname brings an involuntary smile to my lips as I place my water bottle down in front of my plate.

The table is silent as we all become conscious of our hunger and start eating. I surprisingly eat all of my food, and some of the fruit bowl that Tyler's mom brings over halfway through us eating. She comments that the food must be good because we're all awfully quiet. It makes us laugh and nod in confirmation.

After we finish eating, Micah offers to throw away the trash as Tyler goes inside with his mom to get the tray of cupcakes. Taylor and I are alone at the table for a few minutes as Micah is caught up talking to Tyler's dad.

"So..." I trail off, giving my best friend a knowing look.

She returns the look with an equally knowing smile, propping chin in her palm. I watch as she flicks her eyes between me and Micah who is animatedly talking with Tyler's dad about God knows what. I roll my eyes, propping my chin up with my fist.

Tyler is back at the table quicker than expected which causes our knowing glances to cease. I'm so going to get her on the car ride home, though.

"You might have to go save him," Tay whispers to Tyler, referring to Micah with a nod. "I think your dad might've reeled him in."

"Nah," Tyler shakes his head, waving her off. "Leave him. He likes talkin' to dad. They have the same sense of humor."