"Of course." Was all Grene said.

Milo sighed and looked around while he thought of something else to say. He decided he wasn't going to explain the whole thing to him. He didn't care enough. And obviously Grene didn't want to hear anything he had to say. He could have stayed at home and eaten breakfast.

"Where is Katarina?" He wondered, noticing that she was missing from the room. He was supposed to walk her to school. But his words had a curious effect.

Josanna lost her flirtatious smile and suddenly bounced out of the room, saying she had forgotten to pack her books for school.

Grene's brow creased with a frown that was more than just annoyance with his Alpha. "Katarina will be late to school." Was the only explanation he gave.

Milo wondered why. But he didn't bother asking. He obviously wasn't welcome and even though he was the Alpha, he could understand Grene's situation. One of his daughters had a crush on him and one didn't like him. It must have been frustrating to have the wrong daughter chosen as the Alpha's mate. Especially when he had no say in it. But neither did he.

"Very well. May I see her?" Milo decided there was nothing for it but to confront Katarina himself. Maybe she was going to fake sickness until Friday so they didn't have to spend time together? He wouldn't have minded if that was the case.

"I am sorry, Alpha but no. She is still sleeping. I would not wake her for the world. She did not have an easy night." Grene sighed and clicked off the blender. He poured the disgusting mixture into one of those sports bottles that were carried around by obsessive runners and placed it into the freezer. This was just getting curiouser and curiouser.

"Then I'll say good morning and take my leave. If Katarina needs anything, please let me know." He decided to offer his services, even if it was just a specialist doctor to see to whatever was wrong with her.

Grene only nodded and went back to ignoring him as he set about making a second, identical blended mixture. What on earth was going on?

Milo said goodbye and made his way to the front door, confused. He had left his guard outside and he was just deciding to leave him at the house, until Katarina emerged, when something hit his shoulder. He looked around; Josanna was leaning over the banister. She waved him towards her so he glanced back at Grene and ascended the stairs, following her towards a door along the corridor.

"Katarina had an awful night. She...do you know of her special gifts, Alpha?" Josanna asked, irritating him with that repetitive word 'special'.

He nodded that he knew that the girl was 'special' and let her go on.

"She had another episode again. And...I shouldn't be telling you this but..." She bit her lip, grabbed his wrist and led him to a door. "Katarina's awake and she's upset. I don't want to hurt father by telling him. This is the bathroom. Go inside, remove your clothes and transform. When you're done, scratch the door and I'll let you out."

Milo was beginning to think that Josanna was teasing him or playing some kind of game until she bit her lower lip and glanced back at the stairway in panic.

"Please." She begged.

He nodded his reluctant agreement and disappeared into the bathroom. It didn't take him long to strip and leave his clothes on the towel railing for when he got back. He transformed into his wolf form, the largest, rusty wolf of their community and obediently scratched the door to be let loose. He hated following orders, but he was curious enough to agree.

When the door opened, he looked up to find Josanna crying. And then he heard it. More crying...wolf crying...from a door along the corridor. His extra senses had kicked in with the transformation and he automatically padded towards the sounds of distress. He looked up at Josanna and scratched the door that stopped him reaching that sad call for help.