Chapter Thirty-Eight

Start from the beginning

He smiled slightly. "Go for your life. I'll wait 'til you're done with the rest."

She started applying her makeup, then looked back at Drew. "Do you... do you think I'll be okay?"

"Of course," he replied gently. "It won't be easy, but you'll be okay. I pinky promise."

<><><><><><><><>

Hunter was lying on the couch, watching a movie, when he heard footsteps, then felt someone lie on top of him. He glanced down. "Ry?"

"Just needed a cuddle," she mumbled, burrowing her face into his shoulder. "S'nothing."

His arms circled her waist. "Talk to me. What's up?"

"I'm tired," she mumbled. "You know when you just have a bad day, and nothing's even happened but you feel awful?"

"Yeah, I know that feeling," he said gently. "Are you okay?"

"Better now," she said, adjusting herself and cuddling into Hunter's body, gently nuzzling her nose along his jaw. Nothing suggestive, nothing more than just some cuddling, but she wasn't opposed to just lying there and making out.

"Yeah?" he asked, moving up on the armrest, and kissing her gently. She made a noise of assent, deepening the kiss slightly with a small, content sigh. She had missed him. Missed this. They were just so busy these days that they had forgotten to make time for themselves.

Hunter pulled away. "I spoke to Drew today. Ellie was sleeping."

"Yeah?"

"He said she had less bruises. He plans on taking her to a hospital to see if she might be in remission, since she looks and seems a lot better in general. Otherwise, well... they're both struggling like crazy."

"Can't imagine why."

"He says she's changing into Amber more and more often. Longer and longer, too. It has to do with Frank, doesn't it?"

"I guess so." She sighed, tangling her fingers through his hair. "I wish we could be there for them."

"They're not kids anymore."

"I know, I know, I just-" She sighed again. "Don't worry."

"No, I get it. It's hard."

She nodded. "Watching them go through hell like this..."

He looked down at her with a small smile. "They'll be okay. I promise."

"I'm sure they will be," she said softly, kissing him. "I love you."

"I love you more. I've missed you, we've barely seen each other."

"We should just relax here," she mumbled tiredly. "You're so warm."

"You need to relax more," he responded, tucking a hair behind her ear. "You're always so tired, don't think I don't notice."

"Then I'll take a nap." She smiled, kissed him once, then rested her head on his chest, falling asleep immediately.

Hunter lay there, rubbing her back gently and letting her rest, with his mind in other places. He couldn't feel his leg, it had gone numb from how long he'd been lying there. Ryan was breathing softly, her back rising and falling with every breath. He let out a slow sigh.

Twenty-three years. It had been twenty-three years since he had lost Lilly. Today, Ryan had forgotten, but Lilly would be turning forty-seven today. He lived with Elle and Ryan longer than he had even known Lilly.

It was hard, sometimes. Spencer had come across an old photo album, and asked Hunter who the 'red haired girl' was, and he had been whisked back on a journey through his memories and his entire life, winding right back to the moment he had watched her colouring in her book back when he was Red's age now. Ryan had been so concerned about how quiet he was that she took his temperature, forced him to go to bed early, and made him soup.