Evergreen and Elfman

Fried and Bixlow were going to parish. Evergreen just wasn't sure how yet.

Those imbeciles! How dare Fried choose Bixlow over her! Bixlow was an insufferable fool, powerful no doubt, but he was still a tongue-wagging, voo-doo using idiot! And Fried preferred his company over hers! In a battle between the two of them, Evergreen was certain that she could defeat Bixlow. She was sure she could defeat Fried too, as long as he didn't have time to properly assemble a rune trap. Why she hadn't been chosen to participate in the S-Class exams in the first place was beyond her, but she was equally peeved about that. If Fried and Bixlow were actually promoted to S-Class mages, Evergreen would explode with loathing. She hoped that they failed the first round, just out of spite.

Out of the corner of her eye, Evergreen noticed Elfman coming her way. She rolled her eyes and huffed. The fact that the great lumbering brute had also been chosen for the S-Class exams and she had not, even after she had proven she could beat him in battle, was another thorn in her side. There was no doubt in her mind that the older sister, Mirajane, had a hand in his selection. For this reason, she'd been sending him a multitude of nasty glares.

"Hey, Ever," he began, flopping down in the stool next to hers.

She sent a vitriolic scowl his way. "Don't call me that. It's Evergreen to you."

"Sorry, I just think Evergreen is kind of a mouthful," he muttered, crossing his arms. With a sigh, he waved a hand dismissively. "But that's not important. I know that Fried chose Bixlow instead of you - "

"Do you want me to slap you?"

" - So, I was thinking that you could team up with me." Elfman let his suggestion hang in the air. Evergreen blinked, because he had actually surprised her without being brutish about it. She was about to snap at him to go away, for Elfman was probably one of the most annoying guildmembers that she knew, but she hesitantly decided to consider the offer. It provided both a spot in the S-Class exams and the opportunity to prove herself. She slyly sized Elfman up. He may have been rather simpleminded, but he was also fairly strong. She could be the brains of the operation, and he could be the brawn. It wasn't a bad match, actually.

"Well," Evergreen began, "What makes you think that I want to team up with you?"

Elfman rolled his eyes. "I'm not too psyched about this either, okay? I wanted Lisanna as my partner, but she already promised Juvia. She said that you were pretty pissed about Fried choosing Bixlow instead of you, so you must want to be in the exams. Real men don't leave a woman pissed, and they don't beg for partners."

"Okay, first of all, don't start with that 'real men' crap," Evergreen ordered, holding up a hand to silence him. "It's annoying. I'll team up with you, but don't think it's because I like you or anything."

"I didn't say - "

" - I'm just doing this because I want to be in the exams - "

" - I don't like you - "

" - And because I want revenge against Fried and Bixlow." Evergreen paused, and crossed her arms. "But you can't call me Ever, you can't interrupt me when I'm speaking, you can't order me around, and you can't do that whole 'real men' crap. Got it?"

Elfman submitted to her irritating requirements, knowing that he would do what he wanted no matter how many times she threatened to pull out of the exams. He was slowly beginning to regret following Lisanna's advice.

But at least he had a partner, albeit an annoying one. Hopefully she was strong enough to get the job done.

_/T.T\_

"I told you I wasn't going to go easy on you, didn't I?" Demon Mirajane smiled at her brother and Evergreen wickedly, waiting for them to get off the ground. Elfman struggled to stand. Mira was keeping her promise; he hadn't seen her fight this hard since the festival when she fought Fried. Him and Evergreen were both covered with wounds and breathing raggedly, but Mirajane didn't even harbor a scratch. It was both infuriating and admirable.