Chapter 17

Chapter 17 | The Nostalgia

-

Chorong's POV

"Your father has paid all the bills for this month and for the next three months."

When I heard that, I immediately asked for my dad's contact number and address. I tried calling him, but he didn't pick up so I was left with no choice but to pay him a visit. My insides raged. Is this really what he wants?

The house with his new family is thirty minutes away from the center of Seoul. I took a taxi to get there, and then I had to walk on a high slope to find the actual place.

A village. He lives in a peaceful village with pretty houses and greeny front yards. My heart was full of resentment. How could he manage to live so well? How could he pay for something he's not responsible of?

From where I was, I could hear loud music playing and then I stopped and realized that it's Apink. The song I wrote. To Us.

My heart clenched as I slowly walked forward until I spotted a front yardㅡwith a family busying themselves. A kid was singing along to the song. A pretty woman was setting up an outdoor table. My dad was carrying meat to grill while smiling at his kid.

I watched them until my vision gets blurry. It hurt so much.

"That song is made by your sister!" he told his son proudly.

"That's amazing! When will I meet her, dad?"

He smiled a bit sadly. "Someday, pal."

I was turning away when dad looked up and towards my direction. His smile faded. He looked rather surprised.

"Honey, charge your phone. You might be missing important calls right now!" his new partner said.

So it wasn't that he didn't want to pick up my calls. His phone was dead, and he's in the front yard of his pretty house with his new pretty family, talking about me, listening to the song I made. It was all too much to take.

I turned my back and walked away quickly.

"Chorong!" he called behind me but I kept walking. "Let's talk."

I stopped and he stood in front of me. "You're here." He said in awe and disbelief at the same time.

"Why did you pay mom's hospital bills? You didn't need to!"

He was taken aback. "I was trying to help."

"I have a job. I have a business. I don't need your money."

"Please, it's the only way I can help."

I shook my head and when I look at him, I just get so sad and angry. "I'm not a charity case."

"That's not what I meantㅡ"

"Dad?" A voice of a kid called behind us.

"Hey, pal. Why did you follow?" Father asked him.

"Who is she?" the kid asked, now holding dad's hand.

"She's... your sister." Father replied reluctantly.

The kid's eyes brightened. "You're my genius sister! Wow, you are so pretty!"

When I didn't react, dad held both of the kid's shoulder and motioned him away. "Why don't you help mom on grilling the meat, son?"

"Meat? Oh! Maybe my sister can join us for dinner!"

"Now's not the right time. Your sister is... busy."