"Well because you are my oldest child, you need to get yourself back home and start working again! You think that you can just disappear for three years and nothing would happen? We needed you here to take care of things!" his father practically yelled.

"You took your time to squander money, sleep with women, and tarnish our family name, so come Monday I want you in the office, pronto. Don't you even dare think about running of to go lollygag in some foreign country again, or so help me I will drag you home myself."

 Johnathan had nothing to say back to his erratic father, so he snapped the phone shut and began to stride toward the location of his car. He hadn't had even made it ten feet when he heard the frantic slapping of heels chasing after him.

"I'm not done talking to you!" Mary called out sternly.

Johnathan didn't turn to reply or stop at all, "Maybe, but I'm done listening to you." And with that he turned the corner and disappeared into the darkness of the night, leaving Mary fuming.

Mart refused to act like a dejected youth. Instead, she gathered up her wits and scrounged around for the nearest homeless man that she could find. A triumphant smile spread across her lips as she thought about what she was going to do.

"Excuse me sir," Mary implored gently to the man huddled in the corner next to the dumpster.

The man looked up at her, took note of her attire and refocused his attention to rubbing his hands together. It had been years since someone had attempted to show him kindness, now he didn't expect anything from anyone.

A gust of wind brought the stench of the dumpster into Mary's nostrils and she almost choked. She took one more glance at the makeshift home that the man had made for herself and took a tentative step forward.

"Sir, I have this coat for you," she said as she stripped Johnathan's jacket off of her shoulders.

The man looked up at her with seasoned speculation, drawing his knees closer to his chest, "I don't need your high end coat or your ten second pity," he spat.

Mary withheld a chuckle, "Trust me, this is more for me than it is for you. I'm getting back at someone who isn't very fond of me."

Mary extended the coat to the man, who made no move to take it. Crossing his arms, the man's eyes scanned the street behind Mary with uncertainty, as if someone was going to appear and snatch the coat away.

"I ain't got anyone whose going to chase me down for this coat? I ain't trying to be accused of lifting this of nobody am I?" he asked with scrutiny.

A tender smile touched Mary's lips, "I promise, no one is going to come looking for this coat. The jerk that left it probably thinks I'm worshiping it, or using it to build a shrine to him."

After that statement the man greedily snatched the coat from Mary and threw it around his body. The once pristine coat already began to show signs of dirt from the man's grimy hands and clothes. Taking a step back, Mary gave the man a wave.

"You enjoy that coat," she said, proud of what she had done.

After a few seconds of looking at each other in silence, Mary turned to find her way back to the brightly lit streets. Only then did she hear a voice call out to her.

"Thanks lady! I don't know you, but this kindness won't be forgotten."

Taking a moment to pause, Mary looked back and gave the man another halfhearted wave. She saw his silhouette wave back before she turned one last time to head home. Despite everything that had happened between her and Johnathan, she had a good night. There was a line of corporations that were willing to begin doing business with her, she danced and flirted a little bit with a mysterious stranger, and she helped someone in need.

The next day, Mary's eyes were glued to her computer. She was on the verge of her best retaliation to Knightly Industries, as long as her calculations were correct, she was about to become the sole proprietor of nearly fifty percent of the companies that bought stocks from Knightly. Reaching for her phone she dialed for Sarah.

Sarah picked up after two rings and answered chirpily, "What can I do for you?"

"Hey, I'm sending some data your way, they are super important and for special eyes only. I need you to make sure they get to Dave from logistics because I have another board meeting in ten." Mary commanded.

"Sure thing. I also have your three o'clock meeting on the phone; they said that they want to bump their meeting up to one, right before lunch. Your schedule is clear; shall I give them the okay?" Sarah inquired.

"Fine, fine." Mary said hastily as she shuffled around her desk for a piece of paper that she was missing. It contained some of the names of her potential investors, and she needed to find it soon. "Sarah, did I give you a paper with names on it?"

"No, but I am sure that I can find whatever you are looking for while you are in your meeting," Sarah replied.

"That's why I pay you," Mary joked before she hung up the phone.

Three hours and one board meeting later, Mary was exhausted. Taking a quick glance at her watch she realized, to her dismay that her three o'clock had been moved up to one. Moving as fast as she could while maintaining her professional composure, Mary all but sprinted to her office.

Thrusting the door open she began to profusely apologize. The man was a sight to behold. His suit was tailored to fit him like a second skin. The navy blue complemented the tan of his skin. Mary knew at once who the person was.  Once her stuttering had stopped, the man in her office turned and shot her a womanizing smile.

"There you are! I was afraid you stood me up."