17

Well, as promised, here is another chapter! I can't be thankful enough for the readers who have stuck with me even after an almost 6 month wait period. You guys are absolutely the best thing ever and I wish I could meet each of you and give you a plate of cookies!

Once again, I hope you guys will be patient with me as get better at time-management. Hopefully I will whip up another chapter sooner!

Mary leaned further into her seat and tried to remember the last person she had met that was as strong-headed as Johnathan. Her mind flashed to the look of his eyes right before she had kissed her, and the tenderness that his green orbs possessed.

“Don’t do this to yourself Mary. Don’t humanize him or else you’ll start feeling things, “Mary muttered to herself.

But she couldn’t shake the feeling that she was having. That in those few seconds, Johnathan was being genuine and actually wanted to be in a relationship. Mary shook her head; she didn’t have time to be in a relationship, even if she wanted to. There were things that needed to be dealt with, such as the scandal that was about to break with her name written all over it.

Mary felt her phone vibrate, looking to see who it could be, a small frown etched into her face when she realized who it was.

“Miss me already?” she replied smartly.

“Don’t kid yourself Mary,” Johnathan replied with a chuckle, “I just wanted to let you know that our arrangement will have to wait until Saturday. Something came up with my family and I have to take care of it.”

Mary frowned with disappointment, however, she didn’t know if she was more upset over the fact that her appointment was being cancelled, or because she wouldn’t be seeing Johnathan. Sighing she said a short reply and agreed for brunch Saturday.

Johnathan hung up the phone with a particular smugness. There was something about playing cat and mouse with Mary and her emotions that he found particularly enjoying. However, he couldn’t fully relish in his plotting due to the fact that his father was breathing heavily down his neck.

“Father, if you could please take a seat!” Johnathan hissed, jerking his head towards that plush leather couch across the room.

The senior Knightly scoffed, “Johnathan, what I have told you about commanding me?”

Johnathan’s green eyes crystalized to ice, “I honestly don’t care about whatever you are going to say. I have a plan and I am enacting how I please. You are the one that has a quarrel with Miss. Brighton, not I.”

Johnathan watched as his father’s wrinkles became more prominent as he frowned. Refusing to be dictated to, the senior Knightly strode around the table and sat opposite of his son.

“What happened to the original plan?” he asked his son.

“I am taking a different approach, one you should not worry about,” Johnathan replied, not looking up from his phone, “Why stop at befriending her, when I can have her heart in my hands?”

Johnathan’s father let out a dog-like bark that was supposed to be laughter, “And how do you expect that feat to happen? The woman loathes the very air that gives to life!”

Johnathan frowned as he replied, “You didn’t see what I saw in her today father. Miss Brighton is still first and foremost a woman.”

He also wanted to add that his father wasn’t the one who felt her sigh into his kiss or the one to see a glimmer in her eyes after she pulled away. Something in Johnathan’s heart told him that there was a part of Mary, no matter how miniscule it was, that wanted him the way that he wanted her. And there was not a doubt in Johnathan’s mind that he was going to take a full advantage of it.