Young at Heart

"What do you mean, you won't take the job?!" An annoyed weathered, dark tanned old man questioned.

On his way out, the tall, dread-locked, dark skinned man turned his head back for one final response, "Your words revealed answers to my destiny; the road revealed to me my final path. I've got one last road to walk now, alone. Let Courier 6 deliver the package; she's more than capable of delivering it." His farewell left the elder man surprised.

The wrinkled man scoffed, "What a dead-beat... Was good money too." He picked up the list of couriers. "Now, just who is courier 6. hmmm..." scanning over the list for a couple more seconds, he found the name. Courier 6 - Darling. "More than capable he says... that girl's probably gotten herself killed by now." He sighed. "Though, ain't got no choice now do I...? Tough part's gonna be findin' her ain't it?"

*Ring* The entrance to the Mojave Express opened with the sound of bells ringing. In, walked a low confidence looking man in his early twenties wearing typical plaid courier attire and an over-the-shoulder bag. "Greetings Mister. I've got your mail for yah right here." he searched in his bag and pulled out ten or so envelopes, setting them on the counter.

The old man smiled, "Much appreciated, friend. How far've you been walkin' boy?"

The young man gave a sigh of relief that he finally had a break from walking. "Too long sir. Walked the canyon area. Picked up mail from Arroyo, Redding, and finally New Reno. It's been 3 weeks since I've slept in an actual bed, so ummm, I'm gonna head out if that's okay with you, sir." The young man started for the door.

"Aren't you forgettin' your pay, son?" The elder man raised an eyebrow and jingled a sizable bag of caps. "300 caps as per the contract."

He headed back to the counter and grabbed the cap purse, "T-thank you, sir. Sorry about that, I'm a bit weary from the road."

"Don't mention it, now get out before I take my caps back!" The old man chuckled as the youngster jumped.

"Y-y-yes sir!" The young man quickly exited the building.

The old man sighed, "Youngsters aren't the same as they use to be, that's the damn truth..." He looked back to his recently received mail. "Now then, let's start off with the bad news." He held up the envelope that read "New Reno" on it. "I give it a 50/50 chance one of my couriers got shot dead in that damn town. Cesspool more like it." He began opening up the letter. The letter read:

The package assigned to Courier 6

has been successfully delivered to the Shark Club Casino, New Reno

on October 1, 2281

250 caps were given on delivery.

"Well, that's two questions answered..." The dark tanned man sighed. "Now, where did that youngster from earlier wander off to?"

1 Week Later - New Reno

The desert heat was relentless, blasting each and every exposed area of land with scorching rays. It was a usual vice filled day in the independent town of New Reno when all of the sudden...

"WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?!" A young voice demanded. It was an angry looking, dirty blonde haired young girl. She looked medium tanned, what old world ghouls called Hispanic. She wore an adult sized, extremely baggy coat with a worn down tactical harness overlapping it which held her custom helmet and the eastern sword on her back in place. Underneath was a checkered scarf, covering up a portion of her attire. Her torso consisted of a tribal-like cover for her *cough* upper regions and a bandoleer over that, but still under the massive coat. Her lower torso and belly button were exposed and met with a ripped off portion of the scarf being used as a belt, which held up her pants, which were rolled up to her knees. Her right leg was wrapped in bandages and her feet were covered in an old, worn out pair of tennis shoes.