Clouded

Hiccup's POV

Another dragging day in Berk, I thought to myself as I dragged two ores over my shoulders, hoisting them up every once in a while. Lately, the days seemed to drag on, just like the ores. Things on Berk have become better or worsened,either with the food stock or simply that these months have brought bad luck with bringing a gloomy and cold weather,even if it was only November. Like I said - a few degrees south from freezing to death. Not only that,but I've felt empty as well. Flashes come surge into my dreams,but they seem to pass by so quickly,like a blur. I wouldn't bother to tell Dad,or Gobber. Not even Astrid.

Just by the sound of her name causes my mind to become filled with questions,surging and bunching up in my brain. I still liked her,yet we had a sort-of an on-and-off relationship. I'm not sure,really. It's not the same anymore-sometimes it was- I'm used to going on quests,traveling -whatever you call it. But I can't complain since I always have Toothless by my side. I smiled at the though,grinning in fact. Then it faded slowly,other thoughts surging in. Astrid. No. Don't think about it. She's away on a quest,she'll be back. Stop worrying,Hiccup. Talking to myself became a habit eventually. She's been gone for a 30 days. A month. No wonder why the days feel long. I only felt myself keep pushing forward,walking,but then I felt an impact,a cold solid block against my face. Odd. I kept walking,slightly dizzy and stumbling every few steps over the stone floor of the village.

Villagers waved as I passed by,mumbling a simple 'hi'. I waved back,unenthusiastically. A wave of anxiety washed over me. Stop it! I scolded myself. You promised her you wouldn't freak out. Or go after her. I hesitated at that moment before she left at the docks,because I didn't want to loose her.

I reached into the pocket inside my fur vest,slipping my hand out with a leather notebook. I've had that thing for ages... A tingle surged through my finger tips as I flipped through the pages. I've lost track of time and where I had left the ores. I don't remember ever stopping and setting the wooden paddles anywhere. But at the moment that was the least of my worries.

My feet forced me to keep going forward,but I really had no clue where exactly where I was headed to. It seemed like minutes of wandering passed,turning around the buildings and into the Berk village market. More waving and small smiles. I simply waved in return just to be polite -even if Vikings weren't the kind of people who would be.

Clanging and bangs echoed in the cloudy air,surely causing the noises to louden. Trails of dust blocked my view of what laid ahead,but allowing me to catch a glimpse. The twins - Ruffnut and Tuffnut - were connected by their tangled Viking helmets. Ruffnut's various braids hung and swung,swatting her brother. Tuffnut grunted,holding on to the horns on his helmet and pulled away from her helmet. Eventually,they would break free. I chuckled,joining the crowd in the market. The twins stood unsteadily after their fall. Both grunted and I reached out,both taking my hands to help them up to their feet. Tuff dusted off his behind and Ruff dusting off her pants.

"We could've handled it ourselves." One twin scowled. I rolled my eyes and chuckled,taking this as a joke. Once you've been around someone,you'll understand their humor. The blonde girl coughed,dirt still surrounding her as the dust reached the entrance of her mouth,drying it.

"Well,if you say so." I turned around,back turned to them and headed off forward until I heard my name being called out. The twins need help separating their helmets from each other's,desperately.

"Are you going to just stand there,or what?" Tuffnut leaned against his twin,pulling sideways apart but nothing happened. I took a step back,turning to face them back again,my grip tightening on the horns that tangled with another. I grunted as I pulled,but nothing happened. I attempted again. Again,and again. The twins sighed,irritated and eager to be an individual again.

"Let me help wit' that." A thick Norse accent voice stood behind me,reaching for Tuffnut's helmet with one hand and for Tuffnut with a hook as a hand. With ease,they were pulled apart and free. Both cheered with fist pumps in the air,stretching sideways and upwards from being stuck together and being able to only lean to one side all morning.

"Thanks,Gobber." The twins said in unsion,heading off towards the village square. Gobber chuckled,setting his one hand and prosthetic hand on his hips. "Mischievous kids they are," his gaze followed them,"always were." I stood besides Gobber,but my gaze settled on the horizon and the sky.

"You've always had that spirit,too,Hiccup." He smiled and ruffled my shaggy auburn hair. I had always though of Gobber as my uncle,because I've seen my father and him have some sort of brotherly connection between them... Well, I used to.