ONE

The only thing that could be heard was the sound of the gravel on the road outside as the RV drove across it. The radio was turned off which was surprising because Audrey figured her father would have turned on the radio at this point. Sighing, she rested her head against the wall as she stared out of the window and fought the urge to fall asleep. She had already taken two naps in the last four hours due to the overwhelming feeling of boredom. 

At the sound of somebody sitting next to her, Audrey turned her head to find her younger sister, Kate looking pretty miserable. She offered her sister a weak smile in the hope of making her feel a little better. "You alright?" She questioned gently. Kate weakly nodded her head and shrugged her shoulders softly. 

"Don't you think dad has been acting strange?" Kate asked. At the question Audrey nodded her head and replied. "I do. I doubt any ordinary parent just packs up all of their things and buys an old RV and takes their three children on a spontaneous road trip to Mexico."

Kate nodded in agreement until she looked down at her lap as her phone buzzed. Raising an eyebrow in curiosity Audrey wondered who would be texting her sister right now. "Anyone I know?" She inquired.

Kate raised her eyes to meet her sisters and nodded. "Just Kyle." 

Though her answer was vague, Audrey knew who Kyle was. Of course she knew who he was, Kate was always telling her about him. "Why is Kyle texting you? I thought you two said your goodbyes. Long distance relationships are pretty hard to maintain, especially when you're in Mexico." 

Kate looked a little upset at this and Audrey immediately felt bad but sometimes the truth was hard to hear. "I've asked him to come pick me up. You should come with me."

Audrey was taken aback at what her sister had just told her and she scrunched up her eyebrows and shook her head. "We can't just leave dad. Both he and Scott need us, especially since mum passed away not too long ago."

Before Kate could get another word in Scott emerged from the tiny bathroom and the smell that followed him out was absolutely atrocious. Audrey brought her hand up to her nose in hopes of blocking it out. "What have you been eating?" She exclaimed just as Kate had yelled out against the smell as well. Standing up, Audrey went and grabbed a bottle of Febreze out of one of the cupboards and sprayed it in hopes of getting rid of the smell. 

Scott sat down opposite the both of them and shrugged. "It's only gonna get worse, by the time we get to Mexico this thing is gonna be running on a whole new type of gas." 

"You're disgusting." Kate told him with a frown. 

"I'm awesome." Scott stated. "Like these guys...the sacred one. The hurricane." He continued as he held up one of the magazines he had been reading. Audrey frowned as she inspected the magazine in his hands. "Can you even read that?" She asked curiously.

Scott dropped the magazine into his lap with a defeated shrug. "I like the pictures."

Audrey rolled her eyes playfully with a small smile. Kate looked down at the magazine. "You know that stuff is rigged right?" She asked him.

"Yeah but the rules are like way looser down there." Scott stated as though it were something they should both know. "Also! The more of a freak you are, the more popular you become." 

Kate smirked. "Well then you're gonna fit right in." She told him before her phone buzzed again and her attention fell down to the phone in her hands. Scott quickly leaned over and grabbed the phone out of her hands before Kate got a chance to read the message. "Hey give me that! Give it back!" She yelled as she reached for it back. 

Scott smirked as he read the message. "Psalm forty six, verse one." Audrey sighed. "Scott give her back her phone." She told him with a roll of her eyes.