Twenty One- Family

Start from the beginning

"You're strong." I say
"You're tiny." He laughs and boops my nose. I giggle again and he laughs at me.
He props himself up on his elbow and he towers over me with a smile.
"I'll tell you what, why don't we eat breakfast, get dressed, and then go shopping. Because you , my little stylish Kitten, need more clothes." He says confidently.

'But that means spending more money on me.' I think to myself. Luke must be able to tell that I'm thinking about money by the look on my face.

"Stooop," he drags out the word goofily
"Stop what?" I ask
"Stop thinking about money. You don't need to worry about money. We are going shopping and that's that. We are getting you more clothes." He says sternly
"Ugh, fine." I groan. He places his large hands on either side of my shoulders on the mattress and presses up and down to move my body. It bounces me up and down and I start to laugh.
"Be happy, lighten up." He commands as he bounces me. I giggle and grab onto his arms to help keep myself still. He finally stops and laughs at me.

"There, are you happy now?" He ask
"Yes." I breath out
"Good, now, if I hear one thing about money then I will force you to pick out the most expensive thing in the store and I will buy it." He says firmly
"Got it?" He ask
"Got it." I repeat.
"Good, now go get dressed. We have some shopping to do!" He says triumphantly. I smile and hop off the bed. I race to my room and shower quickly and do my morning routine. I throw on a pair of jeans with a loose maroon top and my shoes. I braid my hair into a fishtail to keep it out of my face. I make my bed, put my dirty clothes in the hamper and tidy up my pillows. Just as I'm finishing, something looks off. I'm missing something. I hear a knock on my door and turn to see a freshly showered Luke standing in my doorway with something hidden behind his back.

"You forgot something in my room." He says with a smirk. He removes his hand from behind his back to reveal my stuffie.
"Ellie!" I squeal and rush to him. I grab it from him and hug it tightly to my chest. He chuckles at me and wraps me in a hug. He kisses the top of my head before letting go.
"What do you want for breakfast?" He ask
"Food." I say back sarcastically.
"Well nah, I thought we could eat wood for breakfast, you cheeky little girl." He laughs and boops my nose again.
"I meant what food do you want?" He clarifies
"Umm, I don't care and a bowl of strawberries." I say
"Okay then, one plate full of 'I don't care' and a bowl of strawberries coming right up." He says smirking
"Want a piggy back ride?" He offers. My face lights up and I nod. He bends down and I hop onto his back.
"Weeee." I squeal as he carries me down to the kitchen. He sets me down on the island stool and begins taking things out of the fridge.
"How about waffles, bacon, and strawberries?" He ask
"Ooh, yay!" I say excitedly
He laughs at me and starts cooking the bacon. I flinch when he starts the fire in the burner and the flames come to life. I've always been afraid of fire because it killed my parents. He looks at me sadly and back to the burner. Luke quickly covers it with a pan and lays the bacon in it. When it finishes cooking, he starts mixing things in a bowl.
"Wanna help?" He ask after noticing me watching him so intently.
I nod and jump from my chair. I walk to beside him and he lets me mix the ingredients in the bowl. When it's turned to a gooey batter, we pour it into a waffle iron and close the lid. When we use up all the batter, we have an empty bowl and a big stack of waffles, perfectly cooked if I may add. He grabs a crate of strawberries out of the fridge and gets a cutting board and knife.
"Can I help cut them?" I ask
"Sorry love bug, but no. I don't want you to cut yourself." He says slightly dampening my spirits.
"Okay." I let it drop and just watch him. I decide to go ahead and wash the dishes so we don't have to do it later. Just as I finish with the last plate, I hear a hiss and Luke drop the knife.
"Ow, shit!" He hisses. I turn around quickly to see him cradling his thumb in his hand and blood running down it. I gasp and race to him, on the way, grabbing the first aid kit from the cabinet. I found it while helping him clean up once after dinner.

I take his hand from him and hold it firmly when he tries to pull it back. "Stop, let me see." I tell him. He listens to me and lets me have it. I wrap a paper towel around it to help stop the bleeding and so he doesn't get blood everywhere. I drag him to the sink and run cold water from the faucet.
"This might sting." I warm him and put his finger under the water.

A/N-(I know the thumb isn't a finger, but I didn't know what else to call it.)

He grimaces but doesn't pull away. I gently wash all the blood off his hand and get a wad of paper towels. I press them firmly onto his thumb and hold the pressure there to stop the bleeding. When it's finally stopped, I get the hydrogen peroxide and take off the paper towel. I hold his thumb over the sink so I don't make a mess and hesitate to pour it on it.
"This....is going to sting." I tell him. I pour it on the injury and his face contorts in pain.
"Sorry." I apologize, scared that he might hurt me because of the pain I'm causing him.
He grips the counter tightly in his other hand and lets out a string of unfriendly words under his breath as we watch the liquid turn white and bubble. I push his face the other way so he can't look at it.
"Look that way." I tell him. I pour more of the burning cleanser onto his thumb, until it's clean. Each time, he hisses in pain but tries to hide it from me. I dab away the excess liquid with a towel and gently wrap a bandaid around it. He watches me carefully as I do this expertly.

I give him back his hand and he looks okay me proudly. I remember the last thing I needed to do and reach for his hand.
"Oh, wait!" I say hurriedly and pull his hand back to me. He looks at me confusedly because you usually don't do anything else. I place a gentle kiss in the to of his thumb and then let him have his hand back.
"Kisses make boo boos better." I explain innocently. He chuckles at me and checks out my work on his thumb and smiles.
"Thanks, Kitten." He says "I could have done it myself. I am a doctor, you know." He laughs
I cringe at the reminder and pack away the first aid kit. "Yes, I know, but you weren't doing anything, and sometimes even doctors need help." I explain and turn back around to him.
"You seem to be really good at that." He compliments me.
I shrug "I used to help take care of the other kids at the orphanage." I explain
"You did a lot at the orphanage, didn't you?" He ask
"Yeah." I say
"I think you would make a good nurse, Kitten." He says smiling. My smile on the other hand, falls faster than a fifty pound weight off a cliff.
"No." I snap quickly "I will never go into your occupation. I don't hurt people." I say angrily to him. He is shocked by my sudden mood change and holds his hands up in surrender. His eyes soften as sadness fills them.
"Kitten, we don't hurt people. We take care of people to make sure they are healthy." He tries to explain
"You still hurt them." I say standing my ground and cross my arms over my chest to prove my point.
"I know not everything feels the best, but we don't intentionally hurt people." He says sympathetically.
"That's the thing, you know it hurt, but you still do it." I say as anger rises in me.
"I'm not going to win this conversation, am I?" He says
"Nope." I say, happy that he's going to stop trying to convince me that what he does is good.

"Can we eat now?" I ask
"Yeah." He says

We sit down and begin eating. I eat a quarter of my waffle, half a piece of bacon, and all my strawberries. I can tell he wants me to eat more, I just can't. It's making my stomach hurt already. We finish breakfast and clean up what the rest of the mess we made.

"Ready to go?" He ask. I nod happily. I can't believe I'm going to get new clothes. We drive to the closest mall and I dance in my seat to the music while Luke laughs at me. We pull into the parking lot and Luke parks the car. Before we get out of the car, Luke grabs my hand so I can't get out.

"Kitten, this is a very big place. I don't want you to get lost or for something bad to happen, so stay by my side the whole time, okay?" He says concernedly. I nod to show I understand. He smiles and boops my nose before getting out. We walk side by side to to the big double doors and enter the building, ready to start our shopping adventure.