I place my hands over my ears just as Gramps yells back, "I said you'd be nothing without me, you old wench!"

"Ooooh," I wince, feeling the insult cut deep, "bingo."

At my reference to the word 'bingo' and Gramps' previous comment, it is quite ironic when Grams shouts out in anger, "Screw you, Howard! I swear on my granddaughter's born life that you will pay for this."

Harsh.

She continues to lecture him. "It's because of you that I am nothing! I was once an aspiring actress. I'd be a Marilyn Monroe by now if it weren't for you, or at least a Michael Jackson had you not interfered with my singing career."

So, she sings like a man then?

Gramps takes in what she says before replying with a stern nod. "That's all I needed to hear. You're welcome."

"For what, Howard!? For what!?" Grams retorts in her shrill voice yet again, causing my ears to thud in agony.

Life doesn't get any finer than this. This is as good as it gets.

"Had I not interfered with your unrealistic dreams you'd be a laughingstock to all of humanity. If people heard you sing, they'd think you are an anomaly from outer space, and let's face it, you were always garbage at acting. You tried to swing that one over me and I immediately knew that your 'I don't want to spend the rest of my life with you' act was all just for show. So you're damn welcome, Lillian! I saved you years of embarrassment!" Gramps retaliates, not missing a beat.

"I was going to be a worldwide singing sensation!" Grams replies bitterly, still arguing.

I don't ever see that happening.

Gramps laughs humorlessly at this. "If my memory serves me correct, you told me that you auditioned and got kicked out when you flirted with one of the judges to sabotage the comp-"

It's on that note that I leave.

Uncle Jeffrey follows me out and hands me some cash. "Here we go, kiddo. Get out while you still can," he advises.

I laugh and take the money out of his hand before hugging him. "Thanks, Jeffster! I really appreciate it."

I can only imagine how it must have been like for Lars and Uncle Jeffrey to grow up with two insane parents. Tough life.

"Don't thank me, kid. I don't want my niece to suffer like I did with those two mad hatters. I hope you now understand why I don't make frequent visits. I'm sorry, kid, but that would be torture," Uncle Jeffrey laughs in good humor.

To be honest, I hate that I barely ever see him, but I'm grateful that when he is in town, he makes sure to spend most of his time with me.

"But I'll see ya around, kiddo. I'm in Burnsville for the next couple days. You go hang with your friends for now and let me take care of those two maniacs before one of them ends up in prison for murder. My bets are on Lillian," he jokes, thankful that his father didn't hear him.

Oh yeah...

My friends, I left the two back there with Gramps and Grams, forgetting their presence altogether because they were eerily quiet - they have been scarred mentally, physically and emotionally.

I turn back in order to retrieve Bells and Maggot, but I turn to find the both of them already exiting the forsaken house hand-in-hand with a glint of instability and fear written in their eyes.

I feel a tad bit guilty...just a tad, though.

"Aqueela, you should really do something. Your gran just punched your grandad in the face...again," Bells says slowly, her hand trembling.

Pause (Published)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें