Chapter 11: Open your Eyes

Back and forth, and back and forth, and back and forth, and forth and bac-

"Scram dearest, your grandfather needs 'me' time," Gramps scolds me, impatiently waiting for me to move. "You steal my rocking chair every opportunity you get," he lectures, pointing out the facts.

I grin up at him and bat my eyes innocently. "I'll move, on one condition," I pause, building up suspense, "convince Grams to let me off the hook." 

He taps his chin in thought, taking forever to come up with a response. 

It's like old people constantly live in slow motion while the rest of us run around anxiously trying to meet their every need.

"Please!" I blurt out in desperation, interrupting his slow thought process. "Convince her not to tell Yolanda about the incident."

"You punched a person on the nose, Aqueela," Gramps reminds me. "How am I supposed to convince that old batty hag not to tell your stepmother? She's legally responsible for you."

Actually, she isn't. My father is the one who has sole custody over me. When he left, Yolanda took up the role as my guardian without the authorities knowing.

"I punched her for good reasons. C'mon, Gramps! Doesn't that count for anything? Be a sport and do this itsy-bitsy favor for your favorite granddaughter of all time," I plead, trying to sway him to see it my way.

If Yolanda finds out that I got detention again, then I am going to suffer a whole lot more wrath when I get home.

"You're my only granddaughter," he says in a matter-of-fact way.

"Exactly. Makes your job even easier," I say with a grin.

"Well, how do you suppose I convince your wench of a grandmother not to tell her? The school phoned in. Lillian was furious. Oh, and thanks for putting her in a bad mood because that day I didn't get a goodnight kiss," he tells me, managing to disgust me in the process. As if I need that picture in my head...

"That's only because the school and the principal himself are threatened by my all powerful demeanor. They totally twisted the story. They're trying to ridden themselves of such great talent. Besides, you never get any love out of her anyway," I tell my old gramps, his resemblance bearing similar characteristics to that of my father's.

"Just tell me, kiddo, how do I do get your gran to listen to me? She hates my guts," he reminds me.

"Hey, you're the one who married her. Flirt or something. Win her over like the way you did in high school," I smirk up at him with a mischievous spark to my eyes.

"That was all a bottle of wine and a good build, but now, here I stand wrenching my back in for you because you won't give me my chair back," he complains - nothing new.

He's still on about that then...

"That's how you going to treat your old man, huh? You want me to die? Because I guarantee my death will happen if you let me go through with the seduction of that old bat," he adds morbidly.

I shrug. "Ah well, you win some, you lose some," I reply nonchalantly.

His eyes widen in what I first think to be offense, that is until I realize that he's looking passed me. 

I close my eyes in dread and slowly turn around to face the demon. 

"Open your eyes, Aqueela! You are in such big trouble. Just wait until your mother hears of this."