Chapter 10 - Rage

"Who the hell does she think she is." Nyx mumbled to himself. His journey began to return home, gripping his satchel in his hand. He gritted his teeth as he found his thoughts playing the recent argument over and over again.
He found himself at the edge of the clearing from the tree houses.
A sudden feeling bursted from his blurry thoughts. From the betrayal and anger, there had been a sadness. The sadness of losing a friend. Nyx had known he hadn't been close to Luna, but he did find a connect that he thought they had. More thoughts came through as he looked back, gazing at the large tree houses that acted as castles in the sky.
He became frustrated with his feelings, looking up at the houses hopelessly. The night had started to set once more due to Nyx's long thinking process back at the house. Not being an impulse thinker, he often dreaded on a decision for hours. His emotions drove him to the present, staring at the houses as his thinking became hopeless in feeling and sadness.
Since he had stared at them for so long, he found himself sitting upon the grass, facing them.
The argument had still played. But the words before had seemed innocent opposed to her snapping? To this, Nyx had thought long and hard upon the grass.
"Snapping like that could have only meant she wanted to hide something. Not to mention the impossibility of her explaining herself at the beginning. She had known something, right? Responding with 'just do' means she does. Or she could just be cocky.... UGH!" Nyx had found himself rubbing his temples in annoyance. The warning sign of the Mali had showed, being late on hunger due to yesterday's big meal. Nyx had stuffed a dead rabbit within his satchel from Luna's house, wanting trip food.. yet he still hasn't left the premise of the tree houses.
He had let the animal eat the rabbit. Without pain he sighed of relief as the animal returned around his heart.
"You're pretty intimidating." A small voice spoke a few feet away from Nyx.
Nyx stood immediately, putting his satchel over his shoulder once again.
"I'm Priss. The girl you attacked." The girl stepped closer to him and held out a hand to him.
Being slightly weirded out by her lack of fear, he shook her hand.

"I'm Nyx."

He had studied her. She had been a foot and a couple of inches shorter than him. She had large rounded glasses with large green looming eyes. She wears a dress with suspenders with simple flats as shoes. Her legs are all marked up with a distinct bandage around her collarbone region, clearly being the area Nyx had attacked her.
"Sorry for that." Nyx scratched the back of his head, not knowing how to respond as she got a better look at him.
"Don't worry. It was a cool experience. I just got spooked is all." Priss looked at him all over and talked super fast, being hard for Nyx to catch up.
"Escaping?" Priss quickly assumed.
"Pardon?" Nyx questioned, forgetting he had been trying to escape this place.
"Never mind that. Follow me." Priss had walked in a fast pace, then stopping as Nyx stood with a purpose, not wanting what happened with Luna to repeat.
"I don't bite like her." Priss remarked as she continued to walk towards an unknown location.
You need to follow! Don't you want to follow?! No no! It's a trap she's going to trick us! She works with Luna! But she said she doesn't bite like her! Just go! No! Yes go! No! Ye- ugh fine.
Nyx had full hesitation before walking after Priss, readjusting his satchel with caution.

Nyx had taken everything with caution as Priss led him to a staircase, upward into another large tree house.
They enter. Nyx notices the smell of books and ink. Dust is spread upon old clocks as some still tick.
Priss brings Nyx up a level of the house and shows the main relax room. Still with dust and books, it's almost identical to the sitting area of a library. A desk sits at the corner of the room opposed to the chairs.
Priss orders Nyx to sit down onto one of the chairs as she does the same upon an opposite one, her feet dangling.
"Luna isn't good at explaining anything. A rather mysterious person I must say." Priss starts off.
"Thank you!" Nyx exaggerates with his hands waving in the air. Priss raised her eyebrow.
"Wow. You must be close if she has already shown that much." Priss pushed back her glasses that had been slowly falling from her small nose.
"What is this place?" Nyx had changed the subject, still a small bit offended by Luna.
"We are a group of survivalists trying to understand the fundamentals of the unknown." Priss winked in arrogance, being straightforward.
"That's all I needed to know, thank you." Nyx stood suddenly, making Priss become impatient.
"We have six in total, including me." Priss hardened her voice as she moved her glasses once more. Nyx sat back down.
"Luna, Red, Me, Felix and mother Jade." Priss smiled simply.
"That's only five?" Nyx became confused, Priss didn't seem to be one to miss calculate something so simple?
"Oh how could I forget! You're here!" Priss smiled devilishly.
Nyx stood
Immediately, feeling threatened as if Luna were to jump out of nowhere and slice up his ankles. "You tricked me?!" Nyx became obsessively paranoid.
"Not at all. You had stood at the corner of our clearing for hours, Nyx. I'd say you would be in the nearest town by now if you hadn't waited there. You're aware of that. So why did you stay?"
"I-"
"Exactly. That hesitation is what held you back. You have a reason, Nyx. Stay here with us and you'll find out more. Leave and you may never be satisfied.. or even safe."

"Why do you say that?" Nyx gripped his satchel with anxiety prickling at his nerves.
"Luna would have hunted you down, probably killing you."
"I'm not scared of her.. just a little intimidated." Nyx crossed his arms in protest.
"We all are, that's what makes her the best leader." Priss smiled to herself.
"And Felix, who is he in all of this?" Nyx had been reminded of his harsh words and his promise that he'd spoke out loud. He had also thought about the name, something rang a bell within him.
"He watched out for all of us, like a knight in shining armor to Luna... or was." Priss seemed to drag her words, trying her best to reel Nyx back in.
"I'm all ears." Nyx sits back down, now engrossed.
"They had recently broken due to complications that are still unknown to the majority of us. Except for mother Jade - she's the mother of the group and the caretaker of Red. She usually has all of the gossip." Priss babbles continuously.
"Mother Jade isn't just a mother figure for Red. She's like a mother to the whole group. If you ever want free hugs and kisses, go to her." Priss suddenly shudders in disgust as a memory recalls to her.
"And Red?" Nyx asks with a hand resting against his head.
"If you haven't heard - he's infected with a creature. A creature of pure darkness called the Mali. That's what you have don't you?" Priss questions nonchalantly.
"Uh sure." Priss didn't react, instead she went on.
"Red is my brother and had been infected ever since he was little. He'd been teared apart by it and is constantly trying to commit suicide." Priss suddenly becomes quiet.
"I'm sorry." Nyx looks with sympathy, she takes it nicely.
"It's okay. We've been on high watch for him yet he's been awfully different.. his skin and.. nevermind." Priss stopped herself from continuing. Nyx came to an understanding but became oddly curious.
             Priss stood up, making Nyx follow as well.
              "Anymore questions should be asked to by mother Jade." Priss walks outside to a side door, Nyx follows.
              "Luna isn't one to crack so much, yet, you seem to get somewhere.. somewhat." Priss smiled simply at him but had suddenly noticed distant yelling. To Priss, it had been muffled through the walls of Luna's treehouse, which is right next to Priss'. To Nyx, it had been as if he's right in front of it. His ears twitched as the argument became more heated. Nyx and Priss could see through the windows.
      Felix and Luna had been arguing. Luna had been holding something. Suddenly, Felix had slapped her violently across the face.
       Everything seemed to have gone slow motion as Felix shoved her backwards and slapped her once more.
       Nyx had seen it all happen within seconds yet, it had felt like hours as he had watched them. Nyx had felt his fist tighten and heart sink as Luna didn't do anything, as if Nyx wanted to yell at her to fight back.
With everything that Nyx had done, she had fought for, she hadn't given up.. why has she suddenly done so? What has happened to her?

Mentally, Nyx had found himself there. In front of her. Blocking the next hit from Felix. Felix had gasped in disbelief as Nyx threw him backward with no hand on him. A force took him by surprise and had started to beat at his face, by Nyx's will. Felix had gone down in pain and scrawled out of there.

Priss had tugged Nyx out of a trance. Priss had been yelling and trying to get Nyx back into his regular state of mind. She had tugged hard upon his shirt.
"Nyx! You need to help! Nyx!" Priss screamed.
She stopped.

Nyx had started to sob unconsciously. His mind had been elsewhere as Felix had beaten Luna. Nyx had been blinded by emotion. His eyes had started to glow completely and form luminous tears that fell from his jawline.

Soft sobs end up with pure rage. Nyx had finally left his trance yet his eyes still glow.

"Don't hold me back."