"So you abandoned me and mom? I'm not a little kid anymore, I knowㅡand I'm not asking you to be here all the time! But," I wiped away the tears that won't stop falling. "I'm still your daughter. I needed you. Mom needed you... but you turned your back on us just because you want to be a better father toㅡto someone else! Well, good luck, dad. Really. And since you wanna be a better father to him, but not to meㅡplease never come to see me or mom again. I can't stand it."

"I'm sorry." were his last words, then there was silence and the sound of the door shutting close.

#

When visiting hours ended, I went back to my apartment. I sat on my bed in the darkness of the night. My heart was breaking but with so many things to think about, my mind was empty. I was just crying in silence.

And then I heard the doorbell ring.

I let it ring.

I had no energy to get on my feet.
But when it didn't stop, I wiped my tears away and went to the door slowly. When I opened it, Changsub appeared before my eyes and my heart felt like it was being squeezed again.

I just stared at him expressionless. He was panting as if he'd ran, then seeing my face blank, it was like concern tripled on his face. He wrapped his arms around me tightly and when he whispered, "I'm sorry," I found myself crying again.

I buried my face on his chest, clutching the fabric of his shirt behind him as I shed tears silently, then louder... and louder until I was shaking in his arms yet he didn't say a word. Neither of us needed to say anything. We both knew that I was broken because of my parentsㅡand him.

I knew something's wrong between us and I had a lot of questions I wanted to ask, and things I wanted to say and yetㅡall I needed at that moment was to discard all of those away and just feel the comfort of his embrace.

#

Changsub's POV

"Hey, eat even just a little. Bomi told me you haven't even had lunch." I told Chorong softly. We were sitting beside each other in her living room. The food I bought in hurry from a restaurant lays unpacked on the center table. She just stared at it quietly.

I watched as a tear rolled down her cheek. I cupped her cheeks and wiped the tear away. "Hey," I said. "I can't tell what the future holds, but I've lived enough to know that things get betterㅡno matter how hard they've been."

She stayed quiet. I tucked strands of her hair behind her ears. "I know I was an asshole for not contacting you for a weekㅡand I know this is not about me, but I want you to know that I'm sorry and I'm never leaving you again. I'll always be here for you."

Panic rose inside me when she started tearing up again and then she pushed me away gently. Without a word, she grabbed the chopsticks and started eating.

I smiled faintly, watching her eat. I hate to see that she's broken and sad, but I want to be the light for herㅡthe same light she has been for me.

I'm still scared of falling in love, but I'm more scared of not being by her side during the time when she needs me the most.

Chorong ate only half of the food I brought and then she laid her head on my shoulder. "My dad came today." She finally spoke. "We fought. I'm just so mad at him. Mad isn't even enough word. I'm angry, so angry yet that too isn't enough word to express how I felt."

She hugged her own knees and went on, "He told me to let go... of mom."

"What?" I exclaimed.

"He said she's too tired, and that I wouldn't be able to keep supporting her hospital bills." she chuckled bitterly. "Maybe the doctor thought the same when he told me to let go, too. Changsub-ah, do you think I should let go of her too? Tell me honestly." she asked softly.

"Chorong-ah, only you would know. Only you should decide. Not the doctor, not your father, and not me or anyone else. Deep down inside you, I know that you've decided."

She was quiet for a while and when she talked again, her voice was sleepy. "Now, I wonder how you survived losing your parents or how you managed to forgive Naeun, even when you didn't say it, I know you did. You told me once I'm one of the strongest people you've ever knownㅡbut you, Lee Changsub, are the strongest person I've ever met with the biggest heart."

I witnessed as my heart slowly increased its pace and its sound. I looked at Chorong beside me and caressed her hair.

"Thanks for being here." she mumbled before she completely became silent.

After minutes have passed, I have confirmed to myself that she's probably sleeping.

I slowly pulled away, carefully carried her in my arms and brought her to her bedroom. I carefully placed her on bed and tucked her in.

And with an emotion so intense that my heart has never felt before, I softly kissed her forehead before whispering a good night, closing the door to her bedroom and making sure the windows are closed and safe before I left her apartmentㅡthinking I want to protect her at all cost.

#

A/N: all the feels. 😭❤

thank you for reading :")