Chapter 9

As confused and worried as I am, I open the door to the bathroom.  Tobias turns the shower water off when he hears me, and I hear him sigh.

"What?" I ask.  I want to ask more, but I choke on the phrase.  I take a deep breath and continue.  "What's wrong?  I'm fine.  Really.  Peter was just... just being an idiot, and I... I'm fine."  I take a few more deep breaths to fight the tears.  I don't know why I'm crying-- I think I'm overwhelmed.  Tobias must sense it, though, because he steps out of the shower, wraps a towel around his waist, and hugs me.

"There are some things I have to tell you," he mutters into my hair.  I nod silently, unable to speak.

We both walk out of the bathroom and sit on the edge of the bed.  I lie back, and he lies back too.  "There isn't an easy way to say this.  At all," he says.

"Then say it the hard way," I mumble, putting an arm around him.

"Okay..." he starts, then pauses, gulping.  "I've loved you from the day I met you, Tris Prior."  He sits up, looing me in the eyes.I decide to sit up, too.  "Every day, I wake up and realize how lucky I am to have you to myself.  And every day I wonder why you haven't left me."

He gets off of the bed, sliding down on one knee.  It looks kind of funny, since he's only wearing a towel, but I don't laugh.  I can't laugh.

"I don't have a ring.  But... Tris, will you marry me?"