Chapter Thirty-Five

Start from the beginning

For the most part though, people stayed. Nick saw Brody rise and head into the ranch. That meant he'd be coming back out with Aiden soon. Nick looked around at the crowd. He saw many familiar faces, most smiling, some seeming a little uncomfortable but determined to stay. There were also a few unfamiliar faces but one in particular drew his attention the most.

It was a man and it was clear he was trying to blend into the crowd but he was failing. He looked hard, rugged and mean. His hat was sweat stained and frayed as were his clothes. His face was sharp angles and long blond whiskers hung from his chin. Nick let his gaze drop and was nearly certain he saw a pair of double drop holsters beneath the man's duster coat—it was a bit too hot for a coat like that.

Who was this? An old acquaintance of Brody's? He certainly seemed to fit the image of Brody's past.... Or was he a friend of someone else's? Maybe someone who had simply been passing through town, heard about a wedding and free food and decided a meal sounded nice....

Nick shook his head to clear his thoughts. That man could be anybody and Nick had a wedding to worry about. He saw Ty and Liza arrive and they whispered to Ellie and Elizabeth as they sat down while throwing Nick an apologetic glance.... He wondered why they were late. Aiden had been worried about a bad feeling he'd been having.... Now the sheriff was late to the wedding and a gunslinger was sitting in the crowd....

Nick wanted to slap himself. He had to quit over thinking everything. He needed to get this wedding over with. He didn't do well in front of crowds –hell, he didn't like crowds at all. He wanted to get married, take Aiden back to their cabin, (which they were spending their first night in tonight), and get started on their life together.

LeRoy and Ryder took their places up with him and Nick frowned at Ryder who was grinning from ear to ear and bouncing from foot to foot, "This is gonna be great!" Ryder exclaimed as he rubbed his hands together.

Nick groaned.

Rita once again began playing her organ and Nick felt his stomach begin to tie in knots so tight he worried it would burst. Ryder began dancing to the music and attempting to make LeRoy dance as well and Nick suddenly felt a bit of his nervousness melt away as he laughed quietly and saw Susie hiding her face in the front row of chairs; clearly embarrassed by her husband's antics.

Then everything faded away. The singings birds, the bright sun, the blue sky, the fragrant flowers, the white sashes and smiling crowd disappeared from Nick's view. Every bit of worry, nervousness and unease vanished as well.

All he could see was Aiden as Brody led him around the chairs and stood at the other end of the long aisle. Nick couldn't believe that Brody was even going so far as to hold Aiden's arm the way he would have one of his sisters. Brody was a damn good man—one of the very best that Nick knew.

Aiden's nerves were plain to see just the same as the smile that was nearly cracking his cheeks as he walked toward Nick. Nick smiled finding his excitement contagious and when Aiden and Brody finally reached him, it took every ounce of willpower Nick had to keep from taking Aiden into his arms right then.

"Who—" LeRoy began but Ryder quickly jumped in front of the other man.

"You're just here to sign papers," Ryder stated with a grin. "You let me handle the rest of this."

"Ryder!" Susie hissed quietly as her face reddened and Aiden's did as well.

"I got this, Sue," Ryder winked. "Don't you worry none."

Nick took his eyes off of Aiden just long enough to send a warning glance to Ryder. The man had better not ruin today for Aiden or Nick would kick his hyperactive ass.