VII

G R E G O R
whined loudly. I forced myself not to look back as I kept walking. Xander walked quietly beside me, he hadn't said a word since we left the castle.

A line of people stood at the top of the hill before the golden statues. Hippolyta, Aleka, Alexus, Rena, and Gregor. They had decided to bid me farewell for my mission. I knew if I looked back I would get emotional again.

The Queen couldn't see that side of me. Emotions break warriors, as my general said once. Xander huffed loudly with effort as he tried to keep up with my pace with a slight limp. I reached down and plucked a flower from the ground as we neared the golden statues that guarded Arcadia.

With my other hand, I fisted dirt. I popped the flower in my mouth, chewing through the bitter taste. Xander glanced at me but didn't say anything. As we passed the golden statues, I stopped. I briefly closed my eyes as memories wafted in my head.

Last time I was in this spot I had killed humans. Xander must have seen the anguish on my face, for I heard him stop as well. "I'm sorry. A-about your sisters. I never intended to harm anyone." He whispered. I opened my eyes as I frowned.

I spat the chewed up flower in my hand with dirt. Xander flinched. "Well the only thing you proved to me, was the fact that mortals never stop being mortals. They never change, even though we thought your kind did." I almost snarled.

Xander looked at the ground in shame. I began mixing the flower with the dirt, creating a muddy mixture. "Here," I snapped. Before Xander could move, I pressed my palm again his face.

He made a strange sound as he ripped away from me. He tried to swat my hands away but he was too slow. He rubbed all the dirt all over his face in attempt to clean it. "What'd you do?" He exclaimed.

I shook my head as I kept moving forward. Xander yelled out in pain. I heard him fall to the ground. I kept walking until I reached the other side of the border. I waited against a nearby tree for him to come out.

I crossed my arms as I sighed. Xander stumbled out from the barrier with dirt smeared all over his face. He blinked rapidly, his eyes darting everywhere. "What did you do to me?" He asked.

I pushed myself off the tree. "Save your life." I snapped. Xander rubbed his eyes again. "By putting spit on my eyes?" He exclaimed. I rolled my eyes. "That was augur. A type of material that can make you see everything." I said.

Xander froze. "What?"

I sighed again. "Augur. It helps you see our world. Since mortals cannot see our world, you'd get killed if you couldn't see monsters that would be trying to kill you." I explained. Xander frowned. "You know, I'm not some 'human' you can push around. I have a name. Stop treating me like some dog. And stop acting like a spoiled brat who doesn't like certain things!" He snapped.

"You're not at all that special, you know. It would be nice if you could explain everything that's happening because I'm losing my mind!" He exploded. I lifted my chin to him.

My anger was surprisingly rising slowly to my head. "I am not some spoiled brat, human. I am an Amazon that was created to serve the gods, not to lower myself to mortals. You are a mortal. And mortals do not deserve any good." I said in a tight voice.

My fingers curled into fists. Xander took a step back, looking almost ready to fight me. "Your little human brain cannot grasp the concept of this. There are other worlds than your own." I growled. Xander straightened.

"I know man kind isn't always perfect, but most of us try to be. I myself aren't perfect, but I'm trying damn hard to be." He said in a resigned voice. I took a step back, an odd mixture of guilt gathering in the pit of my stomach.