Chapter 3: "With The Past"

"I said to leave him alone. You have no business hurting anyone. Pick on somebody your own size."

A memory that is almost a blur to me now. The moment in my life that changed the course of my future, my entire relationship with Zane and others alike him. The source of my troubles in school that I hid from every single person I know. The single instant that determined my daughters existence, and fueled others hatred of me.

It was freshman year, I was a victor. I won against the Shadow Knights, and no one dared to try anything against me. Despite the fact that I ran away, the utter shock I left behind was enough to tear a hole in their joke of a reputation. Gene would stare at me in horror, swearing to the other members that I was a mutant, and that's why he lost.

But I didn't mind, it wasn't my business what he thought of me. It's his mind, and no amount of cookies and bad jokes could fix that. I had broken his rule, I'm the worst person he knew. I was the defier. In fact, the only person the insults angered was Zane, who I found out later was much more enraged about it than I ever was.

I sighed, pulling the cart away from Sasha and Zenix, who still seemed very threatened by that moment in time.

"What exactly did I do? To you, not Gene."

I asked, adding on the last part to cut off any leadership ties. They coughed, expecting me to know the answer.

"The SK wasn't taken seriously ever again. No one listened to us. We were a laughing stock. But what's worse? Those lousy werewolves took over no business, and we were pushed to the back."

Sasha was almost in tears, burying her head in her hands. I almost felt bad for her, but I remembered a lot from sophomore year.

"Yes, Aph has a habit of replacing people with wolves. It's a serious issue. Someone should get her some therapy."

I sarcastically added, a tinge of pain in my voice. I was a little bit irritated at the fact that what I said was the truth, but that wasn't the issue at hand.

"I'm sorry I defamed you, but that shouldn't be a problem anymore. This isn't high school. This is life. And if you're going to be mad at me for the rest of yours? I can't stop you."

I shrugged, waving goodbye to them as I strolled in the other direction. Leonore stuck her tongue out, teasing the small girl near them, who glared right back up at her. Zenix saw it all, picking up his daughter and slamming the aisle next to him in anger.

"Hear us Y/n! You can't hide behind Zane and your friends forever. We're gonna get you back. This isn't over."

The threat lingered in my mind as we left the store, and I felt a pit in my gut expand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had to do something, I couldn't just stand there and watch Gene kick the living hell out of him. It wasn't my problem that he was being thrown around like a ball. But something in my head just told me to yell, told me to stand up. My mind cried out.

"Doesn't he remind you of someone?"

"Mom?"

Leonore asked as we walked to the car. I blinked, setting her down from the cart and beginning to load in the bags. She sat in the trunk, kicking her legs up. Her pigtails bounced with every sway.

"Who were those guys? And who was that girl?"
"That's their kid, I guess.. but I had no idea. I know Gene and Michi got married, but not Sasha and Zenix. These pairings are just strange."

I mumbled, finishing the trunk and closing it up after Nora jumped out. She sat in the back, clipping her seatbelt and shuffling her sketchers. They lit up whenever she touched the ground or something, so she often kicked what is usually Zane's seat.

"She seemed nice."

Leonore added hopefully, smiling to herself. I softly laughed, remembering how evil they all used to truly be.

"They all do sweetie. They all do."

I let my mind drift off again, driving home was almost an instinct at this point. It wasn't too far, and there was too much on my mind.

"You? You're nothing kid. Just a stupid little girl who thinks she can play hero. Watch the villain win, okay?"

Without that moment, without that single quote, I would have never fought back. I would have never gained Zane's trust, I wouldn't have ever saved him from them. If I didn't choose that path, then Leonore wouldn't exist.

I sometimes wonder what would have happened if I stayed a bystander.

But no, that's what I couldn't have done. That was my worst enemy, I had to act. I wasn't about to sit down and watch as the world crashed around me. I would either help those in need, or be the reason it crashed.

I don't regret it one bit, I shouldn't have to. It was my decision to finish what I started. It was my choice to save Zane back then. It was my only flaw. I knew what I was doing. I knew I was going to survive.

But how did I?

The question was left unanswered as a knock came from my car door, and I found that I was home in my driveway, my head resting against the seat. I scrolled down my window, to be met with blue eyes.

"Oliver? What's up? Whatcha doin in this part of the neighborhood?"
"Well, Aris has swim practice, so Aya is at that.. Hisoka wanted to say hello."

The small boy popped up from his shoulders. His brown hair covered most of his face. Leonore waved, jumping from her seat to go meet him outside the car.

Oliver laughed a bit, helping me up before cracking his neck, letting the kids run around together.

"School starts tomorrow, got any plans?"
"Not really."

I half heartedly shrugged, watching as the two kids played in the background of my thoughts.

"Doesn't he remind you of someone?"

The words would continue to stay there, until I was asleep.

----------------------

Admin Time!!

I guess Angst is the only thing I'm good at ;-;

Oh whatever, new chapter, new things.

And new Character Bio!!

Aris Clover

Daughter of Ayaka and Oliver

As the twin of Hisoka, she is his medium. Often his calm and collected side in times of anger and enragement. She responds to all troubles the same, figuring out both sides and staying in the center. She is a swimmer, and destined for gold in her field. You can find her out and about as long as her mother trails behind.

Thanks for Reading :)