Chapter 35 - Black and Yellow

Start from the beginning

Zoe had told her if she wanted to keep her cloak, this was the time to ask. She could make requests the opposing Elite could then grant based on her performance, but they were practically obliged to grant them if she won. Athira planned to make full use of that.

"What... are your requests?" said Discord, probably imagining all the ways he was about to make her regret living. 

"I request that if passed, I be allowed to keep my cloak as I see fit," said Athira. 

Discord's mouth opened, but Athira wasn't done.

"...And that if I am to win, the Elites explain in full their reasoning and plans for taking Colour Zoe away from the team, including any questions related to the subject that a member of Indigo sees fit to ask." 

Whatever he was expecting, it wasn't that. 

"I can't--" 

"Are you worried you'll lose to an initiate like me?" asked Athira innocently. "Am I such a threat to you, Elite Discord?" 

"Done," Discord snapped before the woman could interject. 

Athira breathed an internal sigh of relief. She hadn't been sure if she could press him to the point of blatant acceptance, but Discord's buttons, well, button, was easier to find than the sun due to the one over his ego being roughly the same size. 

"Then shall we?" 

"Shall we ever," said Discord with a roll of his eyes, already heading towards the Elite's end of the arena as Athira made her way to the opposite. 

She tugged at the metal bands around her wrists as she walked, ensuring they were clipped correctly. 

One thing was blindingly clear. No matter what happened with Discord, she had to keep her colour tame. All out was simply not an option. Athira and the Owl had to remain separate. 

She needed a few more days in Indigo to break Reader out and spirit Zoe away, and she'd be lucky to get them. Raph wasn't stupid. He'd file the report of Shift's injury and it wouldn't take long for someone to link him to the injured Owl apprentice even if she'd kidnapped the only witness. With all the attention she'd been drawing to herself, she deserved it. 

That, and she didn't trust the female Elite. Athira rested her eyes on the back of the woman's head as she paused outside her gate. She wasn't an Elite, but she was something. Like Athira's position in Indigo, the title was a cover for something greater, something that no one but she knew.

And Shift. Don't forget Shift. He's the reason you're this far at all.

Athira rested her hand over Talon's amulet for... she didn't know. She hadn't lost him, like she'd feared. Though he still hadn't spoken to her, she could feel him slow and steady at her colour's seal, working to keep it from cracking open further. 

She squeezed her fingers around the edges of the gold plating. I'm sorry Tal, if you can hear me. I don't know what happened, but I think I'm the reason you had to retreat.

As she'd expected, silence replied to her. 

If you don't hate me, I'm going to need your help to get through this. 

"Initiate!" called Discord. At some point he'd stepped on to the arena floor. "Enter at your own leisure, really! We have all day to spend on you!" 

Athira ignored him. She went to walk through the barrier, stopping herself just in time and reaching for the latch instead. 

Her cloak gave her a measure of security against the eyes of the woman. Athira stood, feet spread shoulder width apart, the length of cloak swirling around her legs with left over movement, entirely ready for whatever Discord felt like opening with. His ego wouldn't allow it to happen otherwise.