Chapter 19 - Shedding Light

---

Chapter 19 - Shedding Light

---

Sure enough, someone arrived in a small, non-descript vehicle to pick up Indigo and rescue them from the gathering mob of people and their mobile devices.

Elites poured on to the platform as Athira and the others were ushered inside, with only a few quick words to Raph from Discord. Athira wasn’t sure what it was about Discord’s face, but there was something there that made her want to try and fix it with a solid slap.

Athira gathered her cloak around her and huddled into the corner at the back. Zoe and Shift were next to slide on to the smooth material of the seats, with Raph following a minute after. Then the door was shut and the driver took off into the city.

Shift tried more than once to lure her into conversation, but Athira was having none of it. Her words were expended for the day, wasted on journalists and sticky beaks that wanted to know everything from her favourite colour to how she put on her socks in the morning.

She rubbed her forehead. If only that was my biggest problem. Why did I agree to this Colour thing again? she asked herself, although she already knew the answer. Rathe... Sleeper... all that, but I couldn’t make myself leave Zoe again.

Talon’s voice echoed in the back of her head. It’s good that you have her back, Thira. I’ve never seen your mindscape so calm despite the way your colour’s been acting up.

I guess, replied Athira. She lifted her eyes without her chin to peer at Zoe’s form, listening to Raph talk about something unimportant Discord had said. Finding out she’s alive... I still don’t think I fully believe it.

Believe it, said Talon. You’re not that insane yet.

Thanks for the confidence vote, Tal.

Any time, Thira.

As Raph talked to Shift, Athira couldn’t help but notice how Zoe’s hand kept unconsciously rising to the Elite’s armlet circling her bicep. Each time, a slight look of discomfort would cross her face for a split second, so fast that Athira had to be staring to catch it.

The nausea that followed Athira around since the disturbance at the docks seemed stronger, too. She’d accepted its presence on the monorail with the sleeper directly in front of her, but here? In the car, alone except for these three and a driver?

She knew something wasn’t right.

Talon, what if part of the sleeper got into one of their mindscapes? asked Athira slowly.

Don’t think so. They’d have collapsed by now.

What if the sleeper was biding its time?

Talon seemed confused. Why would it bother doing that? From what I can tell, these things don’t have another purpose other than to sever the mind-body link in whatever beings they come into contact with.

Athira had to yield on that point. Imagining the sleeper blob with any ambitions other than ‘eat anything that moves’ was nearly impossible.

She tucked her legs further on to the seat, into the folds of her cloak. Fair. I’d feel a lot better if I knew how it got on the monorail in the first place, though.

They passed ideas back and forth, none of which seemed any more likely than the last until they reached Indigo base.

 A small crowd was gathered, huddled in the cold night air just outside the entry gate. As soon as they caught sight of Raph leaving the concealed safety of the vehicle’s interior, excited shouts broke out among them.