Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine:

We were at soundcheck and the boys were messing around in The Garage in Burnsville, Minnesota which was near Jonah's hometown. His family was coming in for the show and Jonah was getting pumped.

In a few short minutes the boys were going to start Meet and Greet and I was trying to figure out where to go during that time.

"Grace, c'mere!" David, the boys' manager shouts at me.

"Yes?" I reply, visibly nervous. David looked intimidating, but maybe that was because he was a stranger.

"Your role for this tour is to help fill merch orders, got it?"

"I.... sorry, what?"

"This isn't vacation, princess. If you want to tag along on this tour we need you to help us out."

I gulp, "So I have to talk to people?"

"We can have you just get the orders, okay? We'll work our way up to being a cashier." With a stern look David walks away, pointing me over to the merch stand.

Merch... I am filling merch orders. You're fine, Grace. It's fine.

I can feel myself shaking at the thought of having to be around the massive crowds. The boys start walking over to the Meet and Greet Wall and as they pass Jack stops to talk.

"What's wrong?" He asks as he places his hand on my shoulder, comfortingly.

"I didn't know I was going to be working in the merch stand. I just... I don't know if I can do it."

He wraps me in a hug and sways us back and forth. I can feel my heart and his pick up, but I don't think it's because either of us are nervous about the merch.

From across the room Zach shouts, "Avery, come on we have pictures to take."

We hug for a few more seconds until we really have to separate to the other sides of the room. I head to the merch stand with a new confidence.

I can do this.

As soon as Meet and Greet starts the girls would immediately rush from the boys to the merch stand, eager to buy Why Don't We shirts, towels, and dog tags. I let the two cashiers, Melody and Chris, shout for me to bring them orders. I was a little more comfortable being in the back, not interacting with others.

I caught the boys glances a few times from across the way, they had to make sure I was still okay I guess. It wasn't until Level One and Level Two came in that I was forced to start working as a cashier.

A girl with blonde hair, green eyes, and the longest legs I have ever seen walked up to me at the counter. She was gorgeous and I shrunk into myself thinking about how I looked compared to her.

"What can I help you with?" I try to say as loud as I can.

"Oh I'm sorry, honey what did you say?" She laughs sarcastically.

"What merch?"

"Wait no! I know you! You're Zach's pyscho best friend. I died when I saw you on his YouNow."

I nod my head and wait for her order, my foot starts tapping against the ground in an effort to keep me from losing myself.

"I'll take a signed Zach dog tag," She smirks, "He was totally hitting on me just now."

Suddenly my whole leg is shaking and I turn around quickly to write down her order on the chart for signed dog tags.

"It'll be ready after the show, come back here to pick it up."