Chapter Two

Morning August 24th

The next day, Tria woke up early to Magnus cleaning her room. She sits up and unravels an elastic headband from her wrist and pushes her hair back with it.

"Dad?" She asks and rubs her eyes. "What are you doing?"

"Cleaning," he says simply. "And you should really re-decorate. This is too... modern. I thought you were getting into Victorian Gothic?"

"You're right," She says and looks around. Her room was the same from when she first started high school; she was in her pastel hipster stage. "Come on, get out."

"What?" He asks as Tria ushers him out of the room. "What are you doing?"

"Re-decorating," She says. "I can't have anyone in the room when I do."

"Why don't you just re-decorate like a normal teenager?" He huffs.

"Because I'm not a normal teenager," She says and closes the door so they were outside the bedroom. She then snaps her fingers before pressing her now glowing hands to the door. Using as much magic as she could, she uses it to change the atmosphere of the bedroom. Victorian Gothic being her inspiration.

Once she was done, she takes a step back almost falling into her dad's arms. He steadies her and reaches to open the door. The two then walk into the now dark alluring room. There were dark red and gold accents against the all black interior.

"I love it, truffle," He says and leads the girl in. "More gothic than Victorian but still beautiful nonetheless. You must be more powerful than I thought."

"Why?" She asks him.

"You just re-decorated a whole room minutes after getting out of bed," He explains and walks around the room with his arms outstretched. "That's talent."

*~*

Tria decided to go to the institute during the day to train with Hodge, instead of practicing magic with her dad. There was one rule with triaging with Hodge, there were no rules. Except for Tria, she couldn't use magic.

Holding her staff in hand she squared off against Hodge, both parties circling around each other. Hodge twirls his staff around his body in some sorta flourish and Tria just shakes her head.

"You're a show off you know that?" She questions him and strikes first. Both return a volley of hits by each other's staffs and eventually Hodge knocks her to her feet and is straddled over her. Her staff was thrown out of her hands and he pinned them above her head. He smirks down at her and she just struggles a little under him.

"Only for you, gorgeous," He says using her pet name. He leans down toward her and in his moment of weakness, she uses the angelic power rune, which didn't need to be used with a stele, to flip them over to where she was on top of him with his hands pinned against his head. "Rude," He mutters and leans up to kiss her again.

"We can't," She whispers and his head hits the ground in defeat.

"Come on," He says. "This is the only time I ever get to see you."

"Yes, but we have company." She looks over to see Jace and Carrot Top standing there. Hodge looks over as well and both of them are hit with a realization of who Carrot Top was.

"Clary?" Tria asks the same time Hodge says "Jocelyn".

"Jocelyn Fray is my mother," Carrot Top says. "And yes, I'm Clary."

"Well," Hodge says and rolls the couple over before helping Tria to her feet. "She was Jocelyn Fairchild when I knew her. And she was one of my best friends."