Chapter 5

Chapter 5 ::Jordan's POV::
"Barbie Doll is not her name. And I wouldn't call her clothes 'fabulous'", Ice Princess commented coolly, as she drove past streets filled with cookie-cutter houses and perfectly trimmed gardens.
Before I could ask what the actual name of Barbie-Slut-Edition was, a thought occurred to me.
I hadn't told Ice Princess my address.
And these streets did not look like my new neighbourhood.
"Ice Princess, you seem to be a reasonably smart chick; don't you know that kidnapping is illegal? I bet you the contents of my cookie jar that holding me hostage would not be worth the jail time, despite how pretty my face is."
I was glad to hear that my blasé tone masked the uncomfortable weight settling in my stomach.
Snotty people bring out my killing urges.
And this section of town looked like it had a lot of Snotty People.
Why am I thinking of rich snobs like they are a whole other species?
Are they another species? If so, what would be the name of us Average Folk?
I know! We can be the Averagians.
It has a nice ring to it; kinda like Avatars but without the alien-ish looks and blue skin.
While amusing myself with scenarios of crazy Mums from Suburbia with fancy French manicures battling it out against the Averagians with brooms and dustpans, I forgot that I was in the middle if a conversation.
Guess this pissed off the Ice Princess, 'cos she slammed on the brakes, causing my entire body to jolt forward, and my face to smash into Scary Man/Boy's headrest.
"Owww.... You just had to add insult to injury didn't you, Ice Princess? First you kidnap me, and then you attempt to beat me up. Wonderful person you are." I mumbled, rubbing my sore nose.
"It's not my fault that senile dumbasses don't know how to drive properly. And are you even listening to me?" Danika snapped, as she overtook a small, yellow car.
Scary Boy/Man surreptiously stuck his middle finger up at the sweet-looking old lady, as the sports car whisked past it.
I almost cracked up laughing, but I didn't want to give him away to his clearly PMS sister.
"I wonder what Mrs. Floorboards would say if she saw her star student cursing AND driving recklessly." I said with a grin, liking the unrestrained Ice Princess.
Road rage is such a lovely thing.
"I don't have any idea who you are talking about, but do you always skip from topic to topic so rapidly during conversation?" Glacial grey eyes slid to the rear-view mirror, glaring heatedly at me before focusing their attention back on the road.
"I don't know what you mean, Ice Princess. I'm talking about crabby old English teachers. Your the one that can't keep up with the conversation" I replied with a smirk.
Beneath me, I felt the car rev a bit faster.
Mission accomplished.
"Red", Scary Man/Boy pointed out solemnly.
"I can't keep up with the conversation? Your delusional. One minutes your asking me about my cousin's name, then your saying I kidnapped and beat you up, and then your talking about floorboards. What goes on in your mind? And you say I'm the one incapable of holding a decent conversation.", the agitated girl yelled at me, her hands gripping the steering wheel.
Internally I was laughing at how easy it was to shatter ice, continuing "I'm sorry, Ice Princess. Does it annoy you to know that you don't have the mental capacity to talk normally to me? Does it make you want to hit something?"
"Red." The Gothic boy in the front stated a bit louder, upon seeing that no-one was paying attention to him.
"Yeah, it makes me want to hit someone. And stop calling me 'Ice Princess'; I have a name. Use it." Danika growled, turning partly in her seat to make eye contact with me.
I opened my mouth to throw back a snarky response but before I could, Scary Man/Boy snapped his fingers and repeated, "Red, Danika."
The Ice Princess focused her hard gaze back onto the road and quickly slammed the brakes.
AGAIN.
And again, my poor head paid the price, by being thrown into the car seat in front of me.
I groaned and looked out at the windshield, at the red light we were stopped at.
Danika directed her anger towards her brother. "You could have been more explicit in saying that the light had turned red, Gideon."
The darker twin's only response was to give her a pointed look that said 'if you had been concentrating on the road, instead of pointlessly arguing with people, you would have known the light had turned red and slowed down accordingly.'
Damn that Scary Man/Boy had an expressive face...
"Well that situation sure did escalate quickly, didn't it? Who knew Ice Princess had such a temper." I stated cheerfully, expecting said Ice Princess to kick me out of the moving car any second now.
But she just muttered something under her breath and slowly accelerated when the lights changed.
Disappointed I focused on Gideon.
"So Scary Man/Boy, since your sister is mentally contemplating all the objects she could use to remove my intestines, would you kindly tell me why I've been kidnapped?"
Ice Princess huffed at the comment (not denying it) but remained focused on the road.
His deep voice explained, "Danika is dropping me off at work because it's closer, then taking you home."
I sat back in my seat. "Huh. Ok."
Looking up, I saw the annoyed look Danika gave me at the simple response.
I smiled innocently at her before turning to gaze out of the window.
As silence mingled with the smell of expensive leather, I watched as the picture perfect houses slowly shifted to shops and buildings.
Soon we stopped at a non-descript coffee shop, it's dark brick exterior causing it to blend into the line of businesses on that block.
Ice Princess skilfully manoeuvred in between two crookedly parked cars, cutting the engine and allowing Scary Man/Boy to step into the sidewalk, swinging his school bag across his shoulder and gently closing the car door.
He nodded to both me and his slightly-less-infuriated sister before walking away.
I did not hear the purr of the smooth engine until Gideon had walked into the small shop, disappearing from sight.
Cold grey eyes told me to not even think about asking to move to the front seat.
After giving Ice Princess my address (and mentally refusing to feel ashamed that my house probably looked like a barn compared to hers) we sat in an almost comfortable silence.
I thought back to our earlier conversation, chuckling at the image of Danika going all Fast and the Furious, and almost killing us all.
Until I remembered her actual words.
Then my body froze, as my heart stuttered to an alarming stop for a split second.
"Holy shit! Did you say that Barbie Doll is your cousin?!"