Fourteen- Sketches

Începe de la început

I climb back onto my bed and sit cross-legged with Ellie in my lap.
"Have you finished your homework?" He ask
"Yes." I say fiddling with her ears.
"Good girl." He praises me
I smile at his praise and keep playing with the toy.
"Oh, dinner is ready. I made lasagne." He says
"Okay." I say and get up from my bed. He leads me downstairs and to the table. He dishes out the steaming food onto both our plates, while I get us drinks.
We sit down and begin eating. It taste amazing. He ask me if I like it and I nod.
"Do you have any other sketches?" He ask
"Yeah, I have a few in another sketchbook." I say. I left out the part of it being it was my birthday and was the only present I had gotten. I had saved for weeks to get it. No one had even told me happy birthday, much less gotten me anything. Actually, I did get something. I got to clean the entire orphanage, along with a visit from Colin. Needless to say, it wasn't the best birthday. At least I was one year closer to being able to get out of the orphanage when I was turned eighteen.
"Can I see them?" He ask
"If you want too, I guess." I say and keep eating

I eat most of it and he watches me carefully as I struggle to eat the last few bites. I feel ashamed of myself because I can't do it.

"Don't make yourself sick." He says
"Sorry, I really am trying." I whisper into my plate
"I know, it's okay. You'll get there." He says encouragingly
I give him a small nod. He takes our plates to the sink and washes them quickly. He lets me go shower and put in my pajamas while he puts away the extra food. I go ahead and brush my teeth because I don't plan on staying up much longer.
I grab my old sketchbook and set it on my desk for Luke to look at. I climb into the chair next to my bookshelf. I grab the book 'The Fault in Our Stars' and start over because I forgot everything I read the other day.

Luke knocks and comes in. He smiles at me all curled up with the book and Ellie in the chair. I really love that stuffed animal, I can't help it.
"There is my sketchbook." I say pointing to it
He picks it up and comes over to me. He picks me up and sits down in the chair, then sets me on his lap. I get comfortable in his arms and lay my head on his chest. I watch as he flips through the pages, examining each of them carefully.

"I really like this one." He says as he looks at a simple dress. It's navy blue with sleeves down to the elbows and reaches just above the knee. The hem, collar, and sleeve hems are white. The collar has a sort of lace and a wavy shape. It was one of my earlier designs. Simple, yet elegant. You could wear it to a wide variety of events. A pair of cream colored heels would go great with it, too. It was one of my favorites.

"Thanks."
"These are amazing." He says
"Eh." I shrug "They need work." I say
He just rolls his eyes and keeps looking. I start to read my book and he starts to read with me. I stretch my arms after a while. They are beginning to become tired. He takes the book from me and holds it for us both to read. I flip the pages for us as we read. Nugget lays at our feet, breathing softly as he sleeps.

"I like that." I say as I read one particular sentence.
"What, that?" He ask pointing to the sentence.
"Yup, it's true." I say with a sigh "Pain demands to be felt." I read aloud
He doesn't respond.
"John green is most certainty, my favorite author." I say
"I've heard he is very good." Luke says

We go back to reading in the dim light of the lights hanging behind us. I listen to his steady heartbeat through his cotton shirt. I trace shapes aimlessly on Ellie's back as we sit there. My stomach cramps and I grimace. I grip Luke's shirt in my hand as I wait for it to pass. Every time, after we eat, it does this. It never did it before though.
"Luke." I whine quietly into his chest
"What's wrong, Kitten?" He ask now concerned. I clutch my stomach in pain.
"Does your tummy hurt?" He ask. I nod
"Where does it hurt, love bug?" He ask and gingerly touches my stomach.
"Here?" He ask touching the spot that hurts.
I nod, praying he doesn't press down.
"Does it hurt all the time?" He ask
"No, only after we eat." I clarify
"I'm sorry, Kitten. Your body isn't used to having a proper diet, so it has to adjust to you eating the increase in food. It'll stop in a little while." He says and kisses my forehead to comfort me.
"Okay." I say meekly

We read for two more hours, getting through seven chapters. My eyes become heavy and I can hardly keep them open to read any longer. Luke sets down the book gently on the shelf. He gathers me in his arms and carries me to my bed. I whimper when I loose his body heat and refuse to let go of his shirt. He chuckles quietly and gets in the bed with me.  He covers both of us up and I nuzzle my head into his chest. I hold Ellie close to me, separating Luke and I, slightly. Nugget climbs onto the end of the bed and curls into a ball, falling asleep at our feet.
"Goodnight, Kitten." He whispers, stroking my arm lightly with his thumb. I drift off to sleep in Luke's arms. Him soon following after me.