Alone

ENJOY READING --- This story is set in the time when Avneil are married, but are facing many challenges. They are yet to realise their love for each other. Main characters in first three chapters will remain to be Neela, Avni and Neil. The story will go a bit slow as will focus more on scenes and developments between Avneil. The Mature rating is not there - yet. It might come in as the story progresses.

Lastly I really need to know if this is going down well with people and if any queries, more than happy to take them in the comments!

------------------

It was now three weeks after Av-neil's marriage. Neela ma had come to meet her daughter and left the Khanna house smiling. After all, the most important person in her life, her life itself - Avni, was so happy! She had no doubts that soon Avni and Neil will accept each other as what she always knew them to be - soulmates. There was something in Neil's eyes that Neela ma had seen the day he saved Avni from a certain gas leak death and was trying to revive her. As Neil shook Avni and forgot his surroundings as he cried due to fear of losing her, Neela stopped worrying for Avni as she was too startled to see Neil. In that moment his eyes had reflected his soul, and shown Neela ma what Neil himself did not know then. That he had gone too far in Avni's love, that Avni's entry in his life had hit him so hard and so fast that he didn't realise but he was already connected to her. That everything that happened to Avni mattered to him, that he was not chasing Avni as a criminal but he was protecting her, he was attracted to her grief, the pain in her eyes that looked at him accusingly each time he met her!

A lot happened since then. Avni and Neil got married, though not in the best of circumstances. There was pain, hurt, grief, betrayal and a dark shadow of Avni's past over their marriage from the very beginning. But today Neela ma saw a sparkle in Avni's eyes, that sparkle that she had seen Avni losing as a child, when everything was snatched away from her. Today's Avni was different, less closed to her feelings than the grown up Avni that had entered the scene to eliminate Dayawanti Mehta, the killer of her mom and dad and her grandmother. As Avni's foster mother, Neela had tried to make Avni feel again, but she had failed. But today, Neela ma's extreme happiness was the direct result of Avni's reaction to her one question - "How is Neil?". Avni did not say anything immediately, but her eyes softened and a glow came to her face. Neela did not ask Avni anything further as her worries were going away. Avni was accepting Neil as what Neela had always known them to be - soulmates. If nothing, it was a start! Neela had to leave for Japan the next day, she had always decided once she settles Avni - she will go on a journey of self discovery. With Avni's revenge complete, even Neela's work here was done. Her child was happy!

Standing in her bedroom window, Avni was watching a happy Neela ma walking away from the Khanna house. Avni remembered their conversation from earlier.

Neela - "Beta, kaisi ho? You have got such good in-laws. Hope Neil is taking care of you."( How are u my daughter)

Avni (with a straight face and slight hesitant smile) - "Haan ma! Sab thik hai. Everything is good here. I am especially happy with Bebe, Neil's grandmom. She is treating me like the apple of her eye! (Avni got more emotional as she talked about Bebe). She is not at all like what i thought grandmothers are, like what my grandmother Dayawanti was....."(Yes mom. All is well...)

Neela - "Avni I am so so happy to know this! This is all I wanted. I am now going to Japan tomorrow, and I can start my journey of rediscovery with a smile! You cant understand how carefree you have made me by your words that you are being taken care of and are liking it here. But tell me one thing Avni, How is NEIL?"

Avni got lost in thought at this question. She thought about Neil and his face came to her, as he was cupping her face in his hands last night as he was helping her get over a nightmare. And a slow smile came over Avni's face which she was sure was not missed by Neela ma.

Avni - "All is ok ma. Neil is ok as well"

At this Neela brightened up and hugged Avni.

Neela - "I can leave without any guilt now. My bachha is safe. Avni, baby, I will come back soon and I hope to see you happier then. I will not have any cellphone on me as I travel since I want to disconnect from the world and find myself. It has been many years and I need some respite."

Avni smiled more brightly and openly now. She hugged her mom again and said - "Aap jao. Main thik hoon"( You go. Im fine)

And now Avni was looking at her mom leaving.

But Avni was not happy, she had a wistful and impassive face on as Neela left the gates. Then she dropped on her bed and hugged her pillow, her eyes became more expressive and vulnerable as the mask on her face to keep Neela ma happy came off. And then it all came out suddenly. It had struck her that she was alone. Yes, Neil liked her, but she probably more than liked him. She did not know what she was feeling about him for many days now. She was confused but sure it cannot be love. Surely, she is not capable of loving anyone. She, whose very origin started in something that was not love as her dad never loved her mom. Or maybe he loved her but loved his mother Dayawanti more.

Avni suddenly felt short of breath, she tried breathing but it seemed the air around her had become very hot and heavy. Each breathe was painful and Avni realised she was having a panic attack.. She started hyperventilating. Last few times when the attack had come then Neil was there, he had known what to do. The first time Avni had this attack was as a child when Dayawanti had locked her in a dark room. Since then it had been many times but each time Neil had been there. Avni realised how much she had started depending on Neil since they had started sharing a room. She was panicking but with Neil's memory she remembered when Neil had asked her to take deep breathes and to close her eyes. He told her that it was a full proof magic trick to combat sadness and pain.

Avni closed her eyes and left the pillow. She stood up and took the support of the glass bedside table / nightstand. She was still hyperventilating but slowly she was calming down and trying to take deep breathes. It was working but not as well when Neil told her what to do!

It had been five minutes since the panic attack had set in. Avni thought she was in control as she hyperventilated but at a slower pace. She stood up to get some water to feel better, and then it happened. With a push from her hand as she stood up, a bone china showpiece on the nightstand fell and broke into many pieces. She got startled suddenly and then she felt as if she was swimming alone in a deep dark place....

A blackness enveloped her - the panic attack had not gone, it was lurking inside her and was growing. She felt ALONE.

Avni tried to get back to bed but her legs were not obeying her and taking her elsewhere. Suddenly her legs gave way and two strong hands lifted her. Before Avni became unconscious she could smell Neil's cologne and his carrying her to the bed. And then she dipped into complete darkness and all consciousness went away. Avni was unconscious.