xxiii. for you

I woke up at midnight and decided I want to write a new chapter. It's 5:am and I'm sitting here editing while the rest of my town is fast asleep, dreaming good dreams, hopefully. If that's not dedication – obsessively so – then I don't know what is.

I'm sad to say Seeing Red is winding down now. The climatic chapter is right around the corner, and after that, not much remains ( this is a 30,35 at most, story *sad face*) but let's enjoy it while it lasts! Vote! Comment!

 The climatic chapter is right around the corner, and after that, not much remains ( this is a 30,35 at most, story *sad face*) but let's enjoy it while it lasts! Vote! Comment!

Ashley

"Beautiful?"

"Yes, Momma?"

A moment slipped away. "What do you want for breakfast?"

I shrugged. I was angled to look out the window, at the sky, hoping the blue would return like it had last night. But it never did, no matter how hard I tried to will it back. Maybe because I had no idea what triggered it in the first place.

"I'm not very hungry," I murmured. I was trying to speak as quietly as possible since Kenzie was still asleep in the bed adjacent to mine, half his feet sticking out of it, since it was a twin. The rest of his body was covered in the thin quilt that Momma had bought us a few weeks ago when she scrapped enough money together to by an air conditioner for the summer months.

"I got a call from Mrs. Devon," she continued. "Dennis left a few things in his room that she thought you might want to have."

"Like what?" I mumbled. What on earth could Dennis have at their house that belonged to me? I hadn't been there in years.

"Pictures," Mom said. "Of you two." She let the wind blow silently for a few seconds. "She asked me if she could speak to you today."

"How?" I muttered. I traced the window with my fingers. "We're surrounded by news trucks." I saw a helicopter flying overhead earlier. I hadn't turned on a tv set since last night and I honestly wasn't interested in seeing the wild stories that both the liberals and the conservatives had begun to spin.