Chapter 21: The Massacre

Start from the beginning

"Zero, what are you doing?!!" she screams as tears fall on her cheeks. Her hands tremble in shock and anger at the same time. She is about to launch the Gawain and try to save the people, but Zero's order stops her from doing so.

"Do something quick, Lelouch," she desperately calls out."Please!"

"When did I activate my geass? I don't remember using it on her when I said that she should kill them. What happened?" Lelouch panicked. "No, what should I do first? Damn it, I can't focus at all..Whatever happened, I will deal with it later. I have to stop Euphie."

Zero draws out his gun with a trembling hand and points it to the rampaging princess. He hesitates to shoot her for a while since Princess Euphemia has been an important person in his life and her existence has affected his life. But the image of his younger sister appears in his mind which reminded him the goal he needs to achieve. So, he shoots her on her chest twice before she drops on the ground, not moving even an inch. Princess Euphemia looks at his direction and weakly smiles at him before her eyes closed. He watches her bleed with pain and grief. His hands shake while holding the gun. He knew that the princess he used to love is no longer breathing. Lots of emotions are swirling in his mind and he couldn't compose himself due to the instantaneous events but all he could say is;

"Farewell, Euphie. You may have been the first girl that I ever loved," says Zero before turning his attention to the Japanese who are now cheering for him who has saved them from a massacre. "Though, I killed my very first love, I must move forward even if it means regret and pain is coming with me. I must use this opportunity to make a good impression. This is a good chance for me to get the support of the Japanese."

"Hear me, people!! I bring justice to those people who needs it. And I want to bring peace and freedom to all of you, Japanese! I will fight those who oppress the weak and who flaunt their power for their selfish needs. I, Zero, will do these for your sake!!"

After having his speech, Zero disappears from sight which is a signal for Kallen to fetch him. Kallen gets out from her hiding place upon not seeing Zero.

"I'm at the back entrance," Zero says and so she went to fetch him. On their way to the headquarters, Kallen speaks.

"What happened when you confronted her?" she asks. "Why'd she kill a lot of people without hesitation? She seems to be acting weird."

Zero couldn't reply. He is still bothered in killing Princess Euphemia. He felt regret and pain on his chest. He never spoke a word until they arrive at the headquarters. He didn't talk with the Black Knights, he immediately heads in his quarters with a confuse mind.

"What is going on?" he asks himself. "Why couldn't I deactivate my geass? I have to go and get C.C back. She's the only one who could explain this."

"Shouldn't this be the best time to go and save her?" he asks so he immediately gathers the Black Knights and orders an attack at the Britannian Hall. "Their attention will be focused on the massacre and the death of Euphie. It would be easier for us to save her."

"We must do this quickly while the attention of the royalties is focused on the massacre," says Lelouch. "We will save C.C and we'll give justice to those Japanese who were killed by the princess. Kallen and I will force a way to the laboratory where they're keeping C.C. All of you must hold the Britannian Army until we could get her back."

"Roger that," the Black Knights replied and they immediately commenced their attack. Arriving at the Britannian hall wasn't that hard due to lack of security. It was easier for them to annihilate the Britannian Army due to the absence of the royalties as well as Kurt, Jeremiah, Guilford and Suzaku.

Using his geass on one of the scientists, Zero and Kallen were able to locate where C.C is but unfortunately, only Prince Schneizel could open the room.

"We have no choice but to force our way in," says Zero.

"But what if that woman gets hurt?" Kallen asks.

"No worries. As long as she lives, it won't be a problem," replies Zero.

Using the Gawain's slash harkens, the door is completely blown away. Zero ejects himself from the Gawain and enters the room.

"What took you so long?" asks a familiar voice coming from the huge tube. She's still wearing the yukata she wore at the festival. And as usual, her infamous smirk appears.

"C.C," says Zero feeling relieved that the witch looks fine and well.

"Use the slash harkens to break this tube and cut these restraints," C.C says to Kallen which she followed despite being annoyed and irritated. When she's finally free, C.C falls down the floor unable to move her body due to the tranquilizers injected to her.

"Carry me," she orders. "We don't have all the free time in the world to stare at each other. And we'll continue our reunion at the headquarters if you want to."

"It seems you're more than okay," Zero replies as he carries her and brings her to the Gawain where he is still carrying the witch since they don't fit in.

"Helpless, aren't you?" Kallen scoffs as they make their way out of the laboratory.

"Not really," replies the witch with her infamous smirk plastered on her face. "Aren't you the ones feeling helpless without me?"

"Could I hit that woman while she couldn't move?" Kallen gritted.

"Yes, you could after we make our way out safely," replies Zero. "Everyone, we have taken C.C back so head back to the headquarters."

"So, what happened while I was away?" asks C.C. "I'm sure problems are piled up since the great me has been captured."

"Will you shut up for once?" Zero scoffs in annoyance. "I might bring you back to that laboratory."

"Are you sure?" the witch teased. "I bet you wouldn't want to be away from me even for just a minute. Say it, don't hesitate."

"Shut up!!" the annoyed Kallen yelled. "You're both annoying the hell out of me!! If you're going to flirt, do it privately!!"

"Jealous, aren't we?" C.C teased with a smirk plastered on her face. "You should have seduced him when I was captured. Don't you know the word 'timing?'"

"I will kill you!!" Kallen replies. "And who's going to seduce who?! You're getting in my nerves!!"

Upon arriving at their headquarters, Zero has put C.C in his quarters so she could rest before seeing the Black Knights. When he sees them, they're watching the news involving the massacre.

"See?" Leo commented. "That was just a set up to kill the Japanese."

"Anyway, Zero, what happened when you confronted her?" asks Neil.

"I failed to convince her to stop their scheme and that happened," Zero lied. "We mustn't trust the Britannians or else something like that might happen again."

"Where's C.C?" asks Leo. "She seems to be weak when I saw her."

"She is just recovering from the tranquilizers they'd injected," Zero replies.

"Who's still recovering?" says a familiar voice.

"C.C!" Leo exclaimed as they watch the witch struts towards them.

"When did you able to move?" asks Kallen while giving her a death glare.

"Let me see," says the witch while pretending to think. "Back when we're already making our way out of the laboratory."

"Then, why'd you pretend like you were paralyzed?" Kallen snapped.

"Who told you I couldn't move? I didn't tell you such thing. It's your own fault in believing such without even knowing," replies C.C. "Or is my acting that realistic that even Zero believed I couldn't move at all?"

The two girls continued arguing with Kallen yelling out and trying to hit the witch who is causing her so much annoyance and irritation. C.C is simply relaxed while Travis is trying to stop Kallen from hitting her.

"It looks like we're back to normal," says Neil.