I dropped my face to the floor, unable to look at him. I was ashamed of what I'd done and was really sorry. He stared at me quizzically for few minutes and shook his head bitterly
He exhaled weakly, stood up from the low chair he was sitting and left.

I cried bitterly on learning the truth behind Mama's rage. Maybe Mama was right to punish me that way. Maybe I deserved it and more! Everyone in the house was vibrating with anger, I just counted my steps around them. I went upstairs to talk to uncle Ugonna, to maybe explain to him my reasons. But while still on the staircase I heard him admonishing his sister.

"You actually behaved like a fool Agnes! So after slapping and beating her every second, denying her food at will, you expect her not to retaliate?" He asked. "It's just like owing and maltreating your cook for long and still expect her to make a great meal for you! It doesn't work that way! What were you expecting? A great letter? Why didn't you wait for me? Eh?" He kept asking.

I could still hear her sob uncontrollably and my heart went out to her. I regretted my little prank. I know I had considered many optional consequences but calling off a wedding, that wasn't even considered at all. I had no idea, none at all.

As I was still wallowing in my thoughts I felt a resounding slap on my right ear. For a second I felt and saw hot flashes of tiny stars rotating before me. I looked up and saw aunt Oby, her lips were moving rapidly with her index finger shaking and pointing at me. I couldn't make out the words she was saying because I had instantly fell deaf. Before I could reach out to my ear for a massage, I felt another slap and a strong push. Thankfully, the rail served as a wedge as I held onto it, slightly escaping rolling down the stairs. I staggered and with difficulty saw her jumping to me, I immediately flew down the stairs in fours or maybe fives. Within seconds I was safely outside the house, with my ears still numb. I was scared I'd been deformed. I kept rubbing and pulling it as I prayed silently to hear a sound again, even if it's the voice of my angry aunt.
At this moment, I wouldn't mind...

For over six hours I was tucked away outside. I was so scared of stepping into the house as I didn't know what awaits me there. After a really long while, Mama called me in. I was scared I know, but I didn't want to be in another's black book. I walked in quietly to answer her and she sent me to buy her a recharge card.

I was glad I could hear again, I was so glad!

Like a thunder, I was back in a flash and I could tell she was impressed. She still ordered me to stay outside until they were ready to call me in. I walked down the stairs quietly and didn't realise I had left the door ajar. Then I heard mama's voice, it appeared she was on call. I ran to close the door but her words caught me. She was apparently on call with her in-law, pleading on behalf of my aunt. She kept explaining ready-made details while trying to make him understand that whosoever my aunt did, was to please him. Their conversation lasted for over 45minutes but from her tone and expression I could sense that he didn't buy her story. Then aunt Oby spoke.

"Now look at what that witch caused, and you all are saying I should let her be?".

Right now, my heart was throbbing really fast cos I was certain of being truly deformed, if aunt Oby's gets to me this time. I therefore prayed silently for peace to be brokered between aunt Agnes and her husband.

But what if her husband never forgives? What will happen to me? I was sure I needed a plan B, maybe somewhere I could run to safety. I was still thinking of where my safety net could be when Mama's phone rang again. From the excitement erupting upstairs, I knew it was aunt's husband. The call didn't last for few seconds, then there were shouts of excitement. I didn't actually know what it was but I was glad they were happy.
Whatever it was, must be good news.

Then the phone rang again and they spoke for few seconds and I heard Mama tell aunt Agnes that he wanted to speak with her. I could hear her walk into her room and the door slammed after her. Then Mama called me. I ran upstairs and came face to face with aunt Oby, I instinctively went to a corner.

"Better let her be biko(please), remember we are managing the situation" Mama admonished.

She stood there staring at me, her eyes like a bullet waiting to be fired. I knew she really wanted to beat me but something stronger was holding her back. Mama can't achieve this force because she never listens to her. Whatsoever it was, was stronger than her.
Just then the door flung open and aunt Agnes walked out. She shot me a devilish look but also surprisingly restrained herself.

"Get out of my way!" She screamed,

I didn't realize when I jumped to a corner. She zoomed past me with her sister following behind. It was quite unusual and I was sure something was going on. Mama told me what I needed to do and I proceeded with the chores. She followed her daughters almost immediately with my uncle trotting behind. Afterwards I went downstairs and overheard Mama saying.

"Let her be for now. Your husband has spoken better forget it. If he gets to hear that you laid your hands on her, you will definitely lose another opportunity to see him home". Mama advised.

Obviously aunt Oby wasn't having it.

"How would he know eh? That girl deserves punishment. By the way, she is preparing for the holidays, we can deal with her and send her home before his arrival. He wouldn't get to see her or even know we punished her" She suggested.