Chapter Five: The Daily Planet

Clark stared at the computer screen before him. A blinking space line on the empty document encompassed everything he had done in the last hour. He knew Perry would be furious if he caught him just sitting there, he had already been late for work. He had a article due by lunch and nothing to show for it. He still couldn't bring himself to care. He glanced out of his window, the sky a stygian grey that casted apathetic pale light throughout the office.

How could he just act like nothing happened? Righteous outrage filled his veins but was quickly replaced by plain tiredness. He knew that Bruce slept around but it must have meant something. He rubbed his eyes, abruptly feeling perilously close to tears. It had been nine days of radio silence, nine days since he had shared a night with him. He watched Perry stalk down the hallway and forced himself to at least pretend to type something, ignoring the ache in his chest. Bothering to pretend turned out to be unnecessary because Perry didn't halt his man-one stampede across the floor as he powered by his office.

"I want it on my desk at 11:59 sharp, Kent!"

He made no effort to respond, they both knew it wasn't a question. Instead Clark leaned forward against his desk, placing his head in his hands. It had to have meant something. He rubbed his temples, the way Bruce had looked at him that night must have meant something - the way his lips had curved into an amused smirk when he had been overzealous. The rich chuckle Bruce had let out when Clark had broken a chunk of bed. The look in his depthless dark eyes when Clark had pushed him over the edge -that euphoric loss of control. How they had laid there afterword, panting together, how utterly perfect it had felt.

"Clark?"

He pulled away from the desk, surprised to see Lois Lane. He hadn't even realized she was back. Her glossy black hair fell around her head like a juxtaposed halo as she leaned against the side of his file cabinet, concern lacing her pale eyes. His hearing may have been immaculate but it really didn't matter if he wasn't paying attention.

"Are you okay?" This time it was said in a hushed tone. He focused on her reflective eyes, the light of the skyscrapers outside shining inside them. He found himself nodding, unsure if it was true.

"I saw the news last night." Of course she had. He had saved a school bus of children and gone up against yet another villain with nefarious tech. Lois looked down at the checkered floor,

"I was worried about you." He tried to muster up a smile but knew it didn't meet his eyes. Lois was back, god. As far as crappy days went, this had a new position on the pedestal of his life. She had been in the Middle East for the past three months, writing about postwar reconstruction efforts and whatever Pulitzer winning journalists wrote about.

"I thought you were supposed to be there for another two months?" A scare smile appeared on her plush lips,

"I came back early." He nodded carefully, debating on how to respond. She moved forward suddenly, placing her hand on the crook of his elbow. Her lavender shirt brushing against his thigh.

"I've missed you, Clark." He opened his mouth, not quite sure what he intended to say but she placed a delicate finger over his lips.

"You don't have to say anything." There was a uncomfortable level of sincerity in her eyes that he wasn't sure how to respond or reciprocate to. He didn't have time because she let out a small sigh,

"I regret the way things ended between us... I wish things could be different." Her hand had moved from his lips to cradle the side of his jaw. Her face had become perilously close to his, her leg finding it's way onto his lap. It was a position they'd been in so many times before. The nostalgia was almost more potent than what he was feeling now.

"Am I interrupting something?" A cold voice asked from the doorway. Bruce Wayne stood- no, dominated the doorway of his office, charcoal suit immaculately clinging to his muscled form. Lois immediately pulled back and he could feel a harsh blush creeping up his neck.

"No, no!" Lois declared with an apologetic smile. She had no idea who Bruce really was. Clark fumbled with straightening his shirt.

"I was just leaving." She paused before walking out the door.

"Don't forget Marchenito's Tuesday, 7 o'clock, Clark?" She gave him a dazzling smile, her bright white teeth on display. He blinked, momentarily perplexed. The company meeting for Olsen's Birthday his distracted brain supplied. Bruce's assessing eyes drifted between him and Lois as Clark rapidly nodded,

"Yes, yes, of course! I'll be there." She threw him one more meaningful glance before walking out the door. He smiled politely but his full attention was already on the suit-clad billionaire standing in the corner of his small office. Why the hell was Bruce here? He found himself turning to face Bruce to demand an explanation, only to see him watching Lois leave with an unreadable expression.

Bruce gracefully rose from his position of leaning against his wall and strode over to the door, closing it and locking it. His powerful back was on full display, the suit clinging to the muscles in a way that screamed expensive tailoring. He suddenly felt self conscious about his own flannel shirt and jeans. About his glasses and unruly hair. About himself. But Bruce turned to face him and he felt every intelligent thought eddie from his head like water during a downpour. God, he was handsome.

He watched Bruce deliberately pull out a chair on the other side of his cheap desk and sit down, dark eyes finally meeting his.

"What are you doing here? You aren't worried about someone making a connection?" Clark asked, aware that his tone was less then friendly. Bruce nonchalantly looked at the small Globe placed on the edge his desk, casually picking it up. It had used to spin but had broken when he knocked it off his desk.

"I'm here making an inquiry about purchasing the Daily Planet. And I wanted to talk with you about Insect Queen." Clark found his eyes narrowing,

"You want to buy the Daily Planet?" Clark demanded, horrified at the notion of Bruce being his boss. Bruce smiled, a bitter arrogant look that set Clark's nerves on edge.

"Not especially, but it was as good of excuse as any to speak with you." Clark nodded, trepidation and resentment building inside him. He tried to mirror Bruce's calm demeanor but felt anything but laid-back with his proximity. Bruce was examining the Globe in his hands when he asked his next question.

"Did you notice anything unusual about Insect Queen's underlings?" Clark frowned, contemplating the question for a moment. Thinking back to the night before.

"The equipment they were using seemed advanced." Bruce nodded his approval. A minuscule curve stretching across his lips.

"Exactly." He set the Globe back on Clark's desk, it slowly started to spin.

"I believe someone is supplying advanced arms to people with nefarious intent."

Clark raised an eyebrow, "nefarious intent." 

"Any idea who?" 

Bruce deliberately shook his head, cool slate grey eyes assessing. There was a certain tension in his broad shoulders which made Clark ponder what his answer might be.

"Which is why I need your help."

Hey Everyone!!! I base my fics purely off the DC movies but I have a couple questions! If you've read the comics or just know a ton about the DC superheroes/villains, leave a comment here or send me a message 😄