Chapter 56 The Farm

Delilah's POV
Daryl and Jesus pushed the teams as hard as they could to try to get us down the road. Roe and Jesus had a single horse tied to their cart. Roe planned to ride back to the town to lead the herd away from the farmhouse we were headed to, and away from the cabin. He would rejoin us at the farm later.

By the time we reached the farm early that evening I was feeling quite ill. I hadn't been able to keep down more than sips of water all day and knew I was probably somewhat dehydrated. Daryl hovered over me trying to make certain I tried to keep some fluids down, but the vomiting continued for several hours after we arrived. "It's just such a vicious cycle to break once it starts darlin'. I get nauseous and throw up, and then I get dehydrated, then I throw up more because I'm dehydrated."

I had prepared several extra bottles of the water with sugar and salt mixture, but hadn't kept down more than a few sips. I just wanted to lay down and sleep more than anything else. Daryl kept trying to spoon some fluids into me every fifteen minutes or so. "If we can't get ya ta keep down somethin' tonight Doc, I swear I'll throw ya on the back a the horse and ride ya ta the Hilltop in the dark. I ain't lettin' nuthin' like this take you or these babies away from me."

About the time Roe finally returned a few hours later, I was finally feeling a little better. I had been laying on a sofa in the living room of the farm house. Jesus and Magna had put out some food for dinner, and Daryl and Max were starting to clean up when we heard Roe ride up. Jesus flew out the front door and into Roe's arms as soon as his feet hit the ground. They led the horse to the stable to groom and feed. It was almost an hour before they returned to the house. "Well that musta been the most high maintenance horse in the whole world. Ya sure you only took one horse out with ya big brother... cuz y'all were out in the barn long enough ta feed and groom that one and both the teams too!" I teased them.

Daryl walked in back of them as he re-entered the living room. He stopped and pulled a couple of pieces of straw out of Jesus's hair. "Yeah, and uh, ya might wanna be more careful. Looks like maybe ya took a tumble in the hay there brother." Daryl winked as he handed the straw to Jesus, then re-joined me in the living room.

Roe's cheeks turned a shade of pink. Jesus just smiled and gave back as good as he got. "Maybe you two could learn a lesson or two from us. Going out to the barn means there's no reason to hang up a do not disturb sign, and no one else would have to listen to 'Oh yes Daryl, please!' that way."

It was my turn to blush now as the guys all laughed good-naturedly. I looked over at Magna. "I'll bet this little trip has made y'all real grateful that ya have your own place, huh?"

She smiled and nodded. "Yes ma'am! It is nice to have some privacy. But it's easy to tell that y'all lived together for a long time too. There's an easiness and openness about your relationships with each other that not too many families are ever lucky enough to find."

Daryl continued to encourage me to sip the water mixture, and I kept down a few ounces before becoming too tired. My eyes grew heavy as I lay across Daryl's lap on the sofa. I felt strong arms lifting me and placing me on a soft surface. He took off my shoes and undressed me before undressing himself and pulling me against his warmth. I snuggled back into his hard chest and sighed as he kissed my neck and whispered "I love you Doc."

I jerked awake in the middle of the night to find myself laying across Daryl's chest and my legs tangled in his. He was awake too and suddenly very alert. He was out of bed and pulling his pants on as he crossed the floor. He grabbed his hunting knife and motioned for me to be quiet. I scooted out of the bed and pulled my clothes on quickly. We were in the habit of always sleeping with our bags ready next to the door. I grabbed Daryl's shirt and tossed it to him as he entered the hall. Roe and Jesus were opening their door and creeping into the hallway also, knives in hands. Max and Magna had taken watch and were to have positioned themselves in the loft of the barn. Roe and Jesus went to the back of the house and Daryl went to the front. I stayed just outside the room where the children were sleeping in case we needed to gather them and leave quickly.