Prologue

I’ve been warned. We had all been warned. And we still didn’t listen, and now we’re here, we’re trapped, we’re doomed.

First world society had been an idealistic thought since the beginning of time, humans have dreamed of perfection again and again, without counting on the fact that poverty and hunger are undefeatable. And then, here we were. They say it took about fifty years, from the moment president Nova took the power, until now, when her grandson, head of government, Ehlix, commemorated the fiftieth anniversary of the Medical Revolution.

People went to the center of the city –where mothers and their kids usually go to buy clothes, and teenagers are sent for museum projects–, they celebrated and chanted “Madonna Nova” –as she used to be called–, there was a big party with food apparently provided by the neighborhood –though, I know it was by the government. Music echoed all around the city, traveling into the subways, into the buildings, and, to my disgrace, into the alleys where the less fortunate lived. Where I lived.

Inside my ditch (a way in which we used to call the alleys) my younger brother and two other people lived. Alix, who was only eight years old by that time, would spend his days inside a special little room I built for him out of wood and plastic some days, or weeks, or months ago; and from time to time, when I was there to watch over him, he’d go take a walk around, play with some street dog or cat, and eat. The two other people, would only arrive at midnight, sleep there, and leave at morning the next day. We had a pretty simple life, simpler than anyone I know, and better than it had ever been.

As often as needed, I’d sneak into someone’s house, or into one of the several parties held around the city, and take as much food as my bag could hold. I’d been caught several times, yes, but I didn’t care. The cops would just warn me, first they used to tell me the next time I stole I’d get arrested, then, the next few times they’d tell me that I would go to jail. I didn’t believe them, and certainly I wasn’t scared, as long as I apologized and left half of the food (which they believed was all). Occasionally, they’d mention the Sector 9, though it wasn’t more than an old myth, and they knew it. Nothing could happen to me. I was untouchable.

Though, probably as a result of fatal irony, one day that was it, and I went from bulletproof to nothing more than a wounded soldier.

As much as I’d like to say my apprehension was excused by a real need, I have never fell lower than I did that night.

It had been one of the least productive days, winter had reached its climax and the cold was unbearable, none of the citizens would risk their neck just for a few bucks a day. Unfortunately, I didn’t have the option. I left the ditch with the idea of getting some hot beverage for my brother and I. There was an old coffee shop a few blocks from home, so I didn’t think there was necessity of hiding Alix’s room, as I always did. I was wrong.

Fate wasn’t on my side that day particularly. The coffee had been shut down a few days ago, and the building was empty. Extremities freezing and red nose, I returned disappointed to the ditch. That was when I spotted a new visitor. This was a man; I would say he was about in his late thirties. He looked dirty, filthier than us, though he had an incredibly big belly, which made me jealous. He has enough to fill that up, I remember thinking. How lucky, how hypocrite, how does he dare to come here. I looked around to see if my brother was near by. I could feel a sudden heat inside my stomach, making me sick, melting my cheeks. 

As soon as I stepped into the old concrete and his eyes fall on me, I knew something wasn’t right. My hand reached to my pocket and made sure I had my weapon, an old, about-to-get rusty knife, ready, just in case it was needed.

The man turned his head, giving me his back. I relaxed just a bit, until I caught a glimpse of what was in front of him. I recognized it; I tilted my head just a bit to gain a better view. The little snake-like toy cracked while he slipped it through his nasty fingers.