Day 1: "I'm Always With You"

Below is my first oneshot for _elenaofavalor_ 's Gabelena Weekend! This oneshot is told from Elena's POV. I hope you enjoy!

"Elena are you coming down soon? The people are waiting for you?" Isabel asked from outside the my closed bedroom door.

"Don't worry Isa. I'll be right there." I responded, looking in the mirror and adjusting the crown on my head.

"Alright Elena, but please hurry! The townspeople are waiting!" Isa said anxiously, before returning to the party downstairs in the castle.

I sighed before sitting down on my bed, causing my crown to slide off my head again. I knew my family, my friends, and the citizens of our town needed me downstairs, but I just was not ready to go down. Why is the whole town here? Well, that's because I have finally become of age, and had my coronation just a little over a week ago. Tonight, the whole town has gathered at my castle to hear the plans I have for Avalor. After all, because I am of age, it is up to me to make decisions on my own, without my family and friends being there to help me decide what is best for the town. It is hard to believe that a few years ago, I was so eager to rule on my own, and now I wish I was not the sole ruler of Avalor. I had come up with plans for Avalor, but I wish I could run them by someone first, before having to go present them to the whole town in just a little while.

However, it was not just the pressure of ruling on my own and having the whole town here that was preventing me from going down. There was something else on my mind. While my family, my friends, and the citizens of Avalor were all here to watch me, there was someone who would not be here tonight. Someone who was always by my side these past few years. I wish he were here.

————— Flashback 2 Months Before the Party —————

"Elena!", A familiar voice shouted from not to far behind me.

I turned around to be met with a familiar pair of brown eyes. "Hey Gabe! What are you up to?"

"Well there's actually something really important I need to tell you..." Gabe replied nervously running his hand through his hair.

"Of course Gabe. You can tell me anything!" I responded with a smile. But in my mind I anxiously wondered what Gabe needed to tell me and why he was so nervous. My mind ran through the possibilities of what it could be. Maybe just maybe Gabe felt the same way about me that I felt towards him. I couldn't help but hope that maybe Gabe did have feelings for me, and maybe that's why he's so nervous.

"No. He probably just has some news about Avalor to tell me. And besides, I'm not even sure if Gabe would truly love me in the same way I love him. After all, I'm not even sure I'm ready to be in a relationship yet." I told myself

I stared at Gabe as he struggled to say what he said he needs to.

"So... you see Elena... A war has been going on in a city pretty far from Avalor. Some citizens rebelled against the leaders, who are allies with Avalor. The rebels have gotten way out of hand, and are putting civilians in danger, threatening the leaders, and just creating absolute chaos. Our allies need all the help they can get, so they have been selecting soldiers from the Royal Guard to go help them. And, I've been chosen to go there and fight." Gabe said looking away from me.

"Oh." I stated at a loss for words. That was no where the news I was planning on hearing Gabe tell me.

"Don't worry though. Now that our allies will be getting help, they will be sure to win. And after we win, I'll come back here." Gabe replied trying to lighten the mood.