3

A few days later, I found myself placing a small note on Jia's sleeping bag. It was early morning, not yet light out. I would have given it to Aang, but he was out. 

For anyone who cares about my whereabouts, 
I'm out. Don't worry about me, I'm fine. I've got Adria with me.
I'll be back after sundown, probably. Jia, don't slack off. Train or something. 
-Kila

I smiled slightly, tucking my scarf around Adria as she slept in my bag. Then I left the house and brought out my glider, taking flight over the city. I wanted to find Iroh's tea shop as soon as possible. He said I'd know it when I saw it. 

And I did. I landed right in front of a shop with a large sign over it reading "GRAND OPENING". Underneath the name "The Jasmine Dragon". I smiled, subconsciously stroking the small dragon under the scarf. 

I moved to the door. There was a sign on the door that listed the hours. I was a bit (okay, a lot) early, but Iroh told me to come by, and I did. I knocked. 

The door swung open, revealing Zuko standing there, frowning slightly. "Kila? How did you find this place, we aren't open you know, it's so early-" 

"I know, I know." I said anxiously. "Iroh invited me. To talk. Is he up yet?" 

"Are you kidding?" Zuko laughed, leaning against the door frame. "I'm not even sure he slept, for once. He's ecstatic. He's setting up the Pai Sho table now, if you wanted to know. Come on in, you can preview the tea." 

"You're being significantly less hostile to me today." I said, stepping inside the shop and looking around. It was rather large, but still gave off a cozy feel to it. There were many tables of all different sizes, and I could see Iroh in the back putting the Pai Show table together. A surprisingly complicated task that had to be approached with a very careful know how. 

"I thought about our conversation." He said, glancing away. "And you're right. The Fire Nation took everything from me. But it's all I have to go back to. The other nations hate me anyway. So unless you can find a way for me to survive outside this tea shop or in the palace, let me know." 

"I don't, at the moment." I said. "But I'll figure it out." 

"Kila!" Iroh said from the back, spotting me. "You made it! Good, we've got time before the opening, let's go upstairs to talk. Zuko, can you finish up down here?" 

"Of course, Uncle." Zuko gave me an odd look as I followed Iroh up the stairs. I just smiled back at him. 

Iroh led me into a sitting room and motioned for me to sit, and I did. He had a low table, one of the ones you had pillows to sit on on the floor. He brought over a pot of tea and some cups and poured us both some. 

"So, Kila," Iroh said. "There are some things I wanted to discuss with you. About your peculiar powers. I have a duty to my nephew to not befriend his enemies, but I have a much older duty to talk to you." 

"What do you mean?" I asked. 

"You denied it before, but we both know. You are a deathbender, and not just any deathbender. You're the ultimate deathbender, the original."

"I know." I said slowly. "How do you?" 

"Have you hear of the White Lotus?" 

I nodded. "There was mentions of them at the air temples a hundred years ago. Some secret group dealing with the spirit world, right?"