Preview

It didn't take long for me to know there was something wrong. 

We had just arrived at the house we would be staying at when I got the feeling, a deep panic, and shouted excuses as I ran for my room. I slammed the door behind me and ran a hand through my hair, trying to calm the growing panic that had seized me at random. 

But my head didn't clear. It was like a desperate cry for help, and it didn't plan on leaving me alone. I glanced wildly around the room, trying to locate the source of the panic. I began to think I was finally going crazy, what on Earth could be hiding in my room that needs help? 

Then I remembered my bag. I glanced down at it. There was one other time I had felt a panic like this. It wasn't impossible to assume the same was happening now. 

A hundred years ago, I watched several baby dragons hatch from their eggs. And now I had one in my possession, very close to hatching, if Kuzon's word was anything to go by, and to me it was, as he did raise a dragon before. 

I pulled the egg out of the bag and sank to the floor, cradling it. The panic lessened slightly at my touch. I glanced around again and gathered up several pieces of my clothing, and threw them together into a sort of nest. I placed the egg gently inside, and, feeling crazy, said, "It's okay. You can hatch now if you want. It's safe here." 

The egg, to my great surprise, responded. There was a slight chipping noise from inside, and then scratches, and then a crack. I stared at it in complete astonishment. Then, as if to encourage it, I said, "That's it. You've got this. You're almost there." 

The break in the eggshell expanded. I could see something, almost, a figure trying to escape. It was all I could do to  sit back and watch instead of helping it along. But it wasn't good to interfere in any king of animal hatching. 

After a moment, a small, scaly head popped out, blinked at me, and then shot out of the egg, bringing the rest of it's body along for the ride. It landed gently in my lap, where it curled up and looked up at me. 

"Um," I said. "Hi." 

It nuzzled it's head into my lap, and I realized it was a girl. There was something about the way she moved that gave it away, the slight difference in the shape of her head. "You'll need a name," I said. "I can't just call you hatchling forever." 

She made a growly noise in her throat, almost like a purr, but not so much. I picked her up and held her against my chest, so she looked me in the face. "How about Adria?" 

She blinked at me and growled. Hungry. Adria it is. 

A/N

AND MORE TO COME IN: CHRONICLES OF BA SING SE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, it's summer now. At least for me. I'm out of school. Yay. 

No promises. 

More soon! 

~Julie