Chapter Six: Love Thy Brother

Start from the beginning

Azuka was walking a few feet ahead of us, Maurice walking beside him chattering happily. I knew that Maurice looked up to Azuka like a father figure, being that he was the oldest brother. I was thankful that Azuka had taken to his role as man of the house, never once trying to escape the responsibility. We both had gotten that from our father. He had been a man of integrity and strong character, things that ended up getting him killed when the gangs and drug dealers moved into our side of the city. I felt guilty that Azuka had been too young to remember the good times, to remember him at all. Still, I knew that our father would have been proud of the young man he had grown into, though I wished that his childhood hadn't been stolen from him.

I let out a heavy sigh, and Macon shot me a questioning look. I forced myself to smile, pushing the darker thoughts to the back of mind. We had to live in the present moment. There was no use living in the past, because nothing could be done to change what had already happened. I watched as Jovan swiped at the heel of Collette's worn out sneakers a couple of times before the toe of his boot caught the underside of her foot. She pin wheeled forward a couple of steps, regaining her balance before she hit the ground.

She twisted around with a scowl, eyes narrowing. I batted the back of his head softly. He turned to me with a frown as he rubbed at the spot. I lifted my brow, "Leave your sister alone, Jo."

He waved me off dismissively, "Whatever." He shouldered her as he walked past, going to stand on the other side of Azuka. I stared after him for a moment, before I swung my gaze to Collette.

I gave her a sympathetic smile as I moved forward a couple of steps and pulled her to my side as we continued walking, "Ignore him. He's a boy and most boys are stupid until they're at least thirty five. Though, some of them can remain stupid all their lives." She let out a small laugh at my remark, which helped me to relax.

"He's a bully." She spoke softly, tucking some of her hair behind her ear.

"That's true. He is, and I want you to know it's not okay for him or anyone to treat you like that, okay?" I stared down at her, making sure she understood that I was not condoning his bad behavior. I wanted my sisters to know that they deserved to be treated well and they should never let anyone treat them any less than that. A lot of females that came from the slums often ended up in abusive relationships, made to bend and break at the hands of egotistical men because they thought that was normal. I didn't want that for my sisters and I definitely didn't want my brothers to be men like that. I wanted the best for all them.

"If anyone ever treats you in a way you don't like, get away from them and out of that situation as quickly as you can. And make sure you tell one of us, okay?"

"Okay." She replied.

"Good girl" I cooed, " Just make sure you stay away from boys that act like Jovan. They're no good."

"Not a problem. Boys are gross."

I lifted a brow, "Why do you say that?"

She looked over her shoulder to Macon, before leaning closer to me, "One of the girls from three doors down said they've got cooties. I don't know what cooties are but they don't sound good." I had to strain to hear her whispered response. I let out a small chuckle, squeezing her shoulder. I forgot she was still at the age where she looked at boys like diseased beasts. I was thankful for that, but I knew there might come a day, when that would change.

"Trust me, you don't want cooties." I whispered back to her, playfully shuddering. She shuddered back, both of us laughing softly.

"What are you two conspiring about back there?" Azuka asked as he turned around, eyes narrowing in a playful manner.