Chapter Thirty-Five

Start from the beginning

"Why you never smile," she said with a chuckle. "I told her it's because I've got a knife to your back all the time."

"You can't be telling people the truth, Ebby," he said, and she laughed. A tiny smile graced his own features, and he kissed her again. "My raven," he said gently. "I love you."

"You smile with your eyes. I think that's more genuine than most people."

"It does take a lot of practise to get this moody atmosphere that I've got going."

"You're an ass."

"You love my ass, don't be silly," he countered, and she nudged him with her foot, laughing again. Her eyes were bright and happy- happier than usual. "So, what's got you in such a good mood?"

"Huh?"

"You've been happy this whole time."

"I'm always happy."

"I mean, that's true, but you also haven't been this happy in a long time."

"I dunno. Callum and Emma have been more... accomodating? They've been really happy with having me around, they even introduce me as their daughter now, not just their foster daughter."

"That's amazing!" He raised his eyebrows at her, his dark eyes sparkling. "Who knows, maybe that'll even mean an adoption on the horizon?"

"You're being too optimistic," she said lightheartedly, but Phoenix could hear the hope in her voice.

"Your birthday's coming up," he said, lying back, giving up all pretense of study.

"Correct," she said, as Nita jumped onto the bed and lay across Ebony's lap. If there was anyone Nita loved more than Phoenix, it would be Ebony, who begun stroking the top of her head gently.

"What do you want?"

"A tennis ball."

"What do you want with a tennis ball?"

"I dunno. I've found that people get upset if you don't want anything for your birthday, or Christmas, or whatever, and tell them so. So I have a list of menial things that I'll never use."

He chuckled, looking at her. "I'm different, though. What would you like from me?"

"Just come to my house for dinner. I'll be happier with that than anything. It's about time you met Emma and Callum properly, they didn't even know you existed 'til the other day."

"When is it?"

"This coming Friday."

"So it's on your birthday?"

"Yeah, it'll just be us. I'm the oldest, so you'll be the only guest, I hope you don't mind."

Phoenix, as Ebony very well knew, didn't like social interaction all that much. His lack of smiling and his offbeat humour could be seen as a bit antisocial, almost rude. Ebony was okay with it, but there was a reason so many people asked why Ebony even bothered with someone as odd as Phoenix. "I'll..." He sighed. "I'll try. If that's the only thing you want for your birthday, I promise I'll try."

She smiled at him. "Thank you, Apple. I appreciate it."

"Anything for you."

<><><><><><><><>

Spencer came up from under the water, shaking off his hair and taking deep, gulping breaths. He glanced around, noticing the clock. A minute and a half, he'd stayed under the water- a new record for him. He pushed his water-darkened blonde hair out of his eyes, and shook his hair out again. A mother gave him a dirty look, and he smiled apologetically.