Chanho

Before you begin to ask me questions, no-- this isn't a story for preaching. This isn't my coming out story. This isn't my life story. In fact, it's someone else's. This book, this life, belongs to someone else. But in order to tell the story properly, you have to start with me.

🍦

"One usual green tea for Kim Chanho," the cashier called to me. In South Korea, this would be different. Very, very different, seeing as stores in America don't offer service or free foods for your showing. And as I stood to get my tea, I pondered the differences between the two countries.

Taking two steps, I wondered why my mother was so excited. Two more, I quickly found out. Three more, we were moving from a small section of Daegu to this big town in America, where she could achieve her dreams. Six more steps, I was proud for her. Really. But in the last ten it took me to reach the counter and thank "Becky" for my green tea, I couldn't believe I was here. I couldn't find it in myself to like it. Apparently in some sections I'm not a favored kind of person. I bowed by habit, thanking her and quickly remembering she's American. The bow meant nothing to Becky. I sighed.

What particularly perplexed me on this fine afternoon wasn't the move, it wasn't the job, it wasn't the dullness of the area. Can I ask you a question?

If you could only experience anger, how would you want someone to approach you about their raging homosexuality?

My mother is an absolute bull. And to be quite honest, the move would not have happened if she was the kind to consult me first. Not only is she on about herself mostly, but apparently homosexuals are quite wrong.

And so naturally you'd understand why I'm here, ordering my usual, which keeps me calm. Correct? I have no choice but to be away from her until my solution arises. And arise it did. He did.

"Cookies and cream milkshake for Dae Naesang," Becky called again. I glanced away from my tea, looking at the person who absolutely had to have a cookies and cream milkshake in such cold weather.

He looked to be really young, no more than sixteen. He had to be. His blonde hair was cut by his forehead, almost entirely covered by a hat. His small, rounded face was hidden partially behind a scarf. He bowed as well, before stuttering out a few words.

"Ah, sorry if you didn't get that. Thank you," he murmured. His voice sounded pure and happy, and he held his milkshake tightly between his sweater paws. I quirked an eyebrow at his unusual happiness. He's the most excited person here-- not just in the store.

I returned my gaze to my teacup. No one ever understood why I asked them to leave the tea leaves in the cup. But they're there, settled nicely at the bottom like pearls embedded in oysters. I took another sip out of the cup, ignoring my surroundings and focusing on a solution to the problem that is Kim Eunhi.

"Hey, you look real stressed," somebody voiced near me. A spark jolted down my body in surprise. I whipped my head around to see the boy from a few moments ago, Dae Naesang. I blinked a few times before nodding slowly and looking down into the cup. The tea leaves were beginning to peek over the top of the liquid.

"Sorry I had to sit here. There's lots of business today, I guess." I sighed.

"It's fine," I replied quietly. Those were the first words I had spoken all day. I wasn't in the mood to speak to anyone.

"So is this something DaeDae shouldn't know about, or what?"

"DaeDae...?"

"Mhm. I have really childish nicknames, just go with it. So what's got you so stressed, tall guy?"

"Tall guy? Tall guy. I don't think I can express myself towards kids that call me 'tall guy'. But nice try." Being rude was the only way I'd get him to leave me alone.

"Not even for cookies?"

"No. Please leave."

"Alright, alright, aish. Mianhae... Chanho." Dae grinned, standing slowly.

"You read my cup didn't you?"

"If it means I'm smart enough to assist you with your personal issues, then yes."

I chuckled. "Alright, sit your ass down then, Dae."

"Pleasure to meet you, Chanho."

🍦

"So lemme get this straight."

"Mhm."

"You moved here from South Korea."

"Mhm."

"Because of your mother."

"Yes."

"And you're hella gay..."

"Yes, quite."

"...and coming out is posing a problem for you because your mom is just being a total ass."

"Such language from someone so young."

Dae slapped my arm playfully. "Hyung, don't be like that! I'm trying to help you."

"How are you going to? Would you understand? You're straight, aren't you?"

"Right, because my obsession with cookies and milk, the nickname DaeDae, the makeup, and the boyfriend style hoodie totally screams 'raging heterosexual fuckboy'. You're a smart one today, Chanho."

"Don't disrespect me! I have half the mind to ignore your rude ass. You're here to help me solve my issue, please, no sarcasm." Dae nodded, running his pointer finger around the rim of the cup in circles.

"So you can't just hop outta the closet. And you can't even really climb out of it at all... I suggest easing yourself out. Something that came off really simple but was actually super big behind the scenes. Like in a movie! Right?"

I blinked. "Dae, my life is not a movie."

"But it could be, Chanho! Don't be a prude about being gay, this is special. Maybe you can bake cookies that say gay on it, casually take a bite near your mother and say you are what you eat--"

"Dae! No. Just... Simpler, alright?"

"Fine, fine. Then... I suggest getting a boyfriend first, to reinforce your chances of getting less hurt. And just... Drop hints about it. She'll start to see how in love you are with this guy, and then it shouldn't matter."

I bit my lip, wondering how someone my age could be so wise. I've never seen anything hotter.