“Indulge me with a dance,” Johnathan asked, however it sounded more like a command to Mary.

Mary wanted to roll her eyes and walk away, but she knew that she was here on a mission. She had to find other investors to commit to buying stocks due to the fact that Fisher Ind. had been bullied into pulling out all of their investments. Everyone here had deep pockets, and Mary was going to use that to her advantage.

Smiling she allowed herself to be led away by the attractive stranger. A chord was played by the orchestra, and suddenly she was swept into his arms. A gasp escaped her lips at his forwardness, and she saw a glimmer of knowing flash in his eyes.

They swayed to the music in perfect sync, Mary was ever aware of how her heart was hammering in her chest and she could feel the burning on his touch through her dress. A blush crept its way up her cheeks and Mary scolded herself for acting like a besotted schoolgirl.

Johnathan smiled, enjoying the fact that he had such control over Mary’s emotions. He pulled her closer to his body, relishing the feeling of her body pressed tightly against his.

“So what brings you here? Other than the obvious of course,” Johnathan asked.

Mary smiled; this was exactly what she wanted to happen. Already she had prepared a short description of her company that highlighted its amazing attributes.

“Business mostly, I’m scouting for investors,” Mary replied, a gleam of pride in her eyes, “I’m planning on opening another headquarter in addition to the plentiful sites already in operation,”

“Well, well, here I thought you liked me because of good looks and enthralling personality,” Johnathan shot back.

Mary rolled her eyes, “Show me the money, then we’ll talk.”

Johnathan chuckled, “Show me a business card, and then we’ll talk. I’ll have my people call your people,” he shot back.

Mary smiled; she had never had such an engaging conversation with a complete stranger before. Everything about him alluded to wealth and a nice upbringing, he practically screamed heir. However, she wondered why he seemed to be interested in her.

Once the song had ended, Johnathan led Mary back to the bar for another round of drinks. Deciding that the wanted to know everything and anything about her, he continued to strike up conversation. Where was she born, when did she decide to become an entrepreneur.

Johnathan admired her passion and drive. He could see that Mary had to work for everything that she had, though he’d never admit it. From the corner of his eye he could see a familiar body make its way towards him. Sooner than expected a voice cut into his conversation with Mary.

“Who is this lovely lady?” the voice said.

Mary blushed, unsettled by the attention that she was getting. She turned to face the newest addition to her conversation only to see a familiar pair of green eyes.

“I am flattered by your compliment sir,” Mary replied, dipping into a demure curtsey.

The man bowed at the waist. When he stood up, he lifted his mask to reveal his face, alongside a devilishly handsome smirk.

“Brad!” Mary smiled, extending her hand for a handshake, “It’s so nice to see you here!”

Brad smiled, pointedly ignoring Johnathan, “I told you that we needed to meet up again! I just didn’t know it was going to be so soon,” he replied shifting his weight to come between Mary and Johnathan.

“So have you talked to the board?” Brad asked, retrieving a flute from one of the many butlers that traveled the room.

“Well, you certainly don’t dally when it comes to business do you?” Mary questioned, slightly put off by Brad’s directness.

The conversation carried on for many minutes. Neither of them noticed when Johnathan disappeared into the crowd. As the night drew on Mary circulated around the room, drawing a large pool of potential investors. Pleased with her handiwork of the night, Mary decided to call it quits.

Once again she found herself waiting on the mercy of a taxi. She knew that she could have called Agnes to come a pick her up, but it was such an unreasonable hour, that Mary decided that it would be worth it. A chill ran down her spine and Mary drew her flimsy coat tighter towards her body. Once again she cursed herself for her poor planning.

“We really should stop meeting like this,” Johnathan said as he emerged from the shadows.

Mary turned to face him, annoyance blazing in her eyes, “If you’ve come to force yourself on me, you better save it,” she spat, turning to face the road.

Mary was greeted with a surprising silence until she felt a heavy fabric draped over her shoulders. Suppressing another shiver she turned to Johnathan.

“I didn’t know you had a chivalrous bone in your body,” she remarked, drawing his coat tighter around herself. The smell of his cologne enveloped her; its masculine, woodsy scent was unlike anything she had ever sensed before.