Chapter Twenty-Eight

With the promise of keeping quiet when it came to the dragon, Milo was allowed to head to Hagrid's hut ever free chance he had in order to see the hatchling. The boy was behind thrilled to have the opportunity to actually see a dragon up close, however, his excitement often left him extremely vulnerable to attacks. But he wasn't the only one attending the new baby dragon as Ron was often there as well. The problem was, Milo's distracted nature around the dragon left him open and Ron was often the one who took the hit or rather the bite as he moved Milo out of the way multiple times.

Draco had yet to report anything to any professor as there was no visit to Hagrid's hut from a faculty member but Harry was convinced that it was only in due time.  The way Draco smiled at any of them passing through the corridors, he knew he had a secret that gave him leverage and left the group nervous. To make matters worse, Hagrid was beyond attached to the young dragon, already taking to naming it, Nobert. 

But Harry, Ron, and Hermione with no help from Milo, were able to convince Hagrid that it wasn't a good idea to keep the dragon on the grounds. Especially since Norbert was growing in size practically every day. Milo, of course, wanted Norbert to stay almost as much as Hagrid did, but Ron had made the arrangements for his brother, Charlie to pick up the dragon from the grounds and fly Norbert out to Romania.

Milo remembered Charlie Weasley well, the older Weasley had a knack for magical creatures, often spending extra time with Professor Kettleburn outside of class to learn as much as he could. Whenever he was working or doing his own research on topics pertaining to the subject, Milo would often sit in the Gryffindor Common Room to listen. Charlie never had a problem sharing his knowledge and a lot of the time, he was pleasantly surprised when Milo spouted new information or decided to carry a conversation. When Milo recited an entire chapter from Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Charlie decided to let the boy look at his other class materials to continue his own research. 

The little Hufflepuff often wished that he stayed in better contact with Charlie after he left, even if it was just staying in contact with a few simple letters here and there. 

He thought that Charlie wouldn't miss out on an opportunity to meet Norbert and escort the dragon back to Romania, but it seemed that it wasn't the case. Charlie's letter back to Ron stated that his friends would be the ones doing the transporting, but they were going to have to do some work as well. They needed to get Norbert up to the tallest tower of the school in order for his friends to come in undetected and they had to do it at midnight. 

Already Milo could see things going horribly wrong in his head and to get the ball rolling with the unfortunate events, Ron had been bitten and it looked horribly infected.

"You ought to go to the Hospital Wing," Milo told the boy, however, Ron faced him with a stubborn look. The wound was turning a shade of green and Ron's hand was twice the size it normally was.

"I'm fine-"

"Said the man before he went to bed and died during the night!" Milo retorted as they walked back from Hagrid's hut. "Really, you need to go to Madam Pomfrey."

"She could recognize a dragon's bite easily, couldn't she?"

"I suppose," Milo said, " but if you think about it, what would a first year be doing around a dragon? I think she would assume it was something else, perhaps something from the Forbidden Forest. I don't think she'll suspect a dragon right away, but there's no telling...she won't be able to help you if your hand falls off!"

Ron gasped and clutched his hand to his chest, whimpering slightly from the pain. "Why would you say something like that?"

"To motivate you to walk in the right direction!" Milo spun the boy around and began pushing him towards the Hospital Wing. "Now move it, Weasley!"