Chapter Forty-two - Scarlett

Zacznij od początku

The tabloids had a field day with it, the pictures splashed across the front page and for several pages behind it. The grand council held a meeting to try and deal with it, the vampiric world was being exposed. All because Lucas lost it. He grumped around the castle for several days, which I tried to ignore it by helping Zach with his birthday present. He named it cobalt and when the time came to move it to its new bachelor pad I was half way up the post on his bed, eyes wide, watching it. Zach thought it was hilarious and of course Candy was half way up the other post. I don't know how she sleeps in this room. One of the servants appeared at the doorway to Zach's room, clearing his throat.

"Your highness, the grand council has requested your company."

He was looking at me but I thought he was speaking to Zach.

"He means you Scarlett."

"Oh." I fluster as I get down from his bed.

"Never been called that before." I mutter.

"You're married to Lucas, it is how it is now, you are royalty."

"Shit." I murmur.

The servant holds the door open for me, as I pass him I politely thank him as he bows.

The ballroom has been converted for the grand council meeting, the servant closed the doors behind me as every single pair of eyes turned and looked at me. In their hundreds my mind whispered concerned.

"Scarlett, please take a seat beside Lucas." Alina gestures.

I look around the table as I meekly scurry to him. Some of the faces I recognise, some I don't. Terrance paces the room behind Alina and Miranda. He looks over at us, the stress very obvious.

"Scarlett, we have been discussing the events at the pet store..."

"Oh." I whisper, taking a glance at Lucas who is brooding in his thoughts.

"The problem that we face is that this isn't the only incident that our world is having to deal with, there have been more discoveries. It is about to hit us with the force of a runaway train and we want to regain some control of the situation."

Terrance still paces behind Alina as she speaks, clearly he doesn't agree with whatever it is that she is about to tell me.

"We have been discussing the possibility of a representative of our people, a face that the humans can relate to with ease."

Oh I know where this is going.

"You already have a public image; you are already known to the world. We have discussed openly coming out and declaring ourselves to the world with you as our representative."

I can hear Lucas breathe out rather heavily, I don't think he approves either.

"What do you think?"

I search my mind for what I do actually think about it.

"I would be concerned that the humans won't react well to it, that they might actually start hunting us again. We are at peace; can we not just ignore it?"

"There is no ignoring this Scarlett, look at these."

A stack of magazines and newspapers get passed around to me, hundreds of articles from around the world, all about us. Some of them are in another language but I can tell from the photo that accompanies the article it's about vampires. The headlines were mixed, some of them were trying to create fear, some of them took an open approach to it.

"Do you have anyone in the media?"

"Uh, yeah a few."

"What about an interview? I can give it, pre-approved questions, tell the world, just as you want."