"How coincidental."

     "I know." He definitely seemed more into their discussion now as he had been in a daze prior to this. "It's like that time we were camping out with the DLF. She was swimming in the cold."

     "That's peculiar," Lucy commented.

     "It's fate, more of," Edmund replied without thinking, before adding, "I mean, I guess."

     "You don't suppose she's a Telmarine spying on us?"

     Edmund looked insulted. "She'd never! It's out of the question, too. She wants the Narnians to live peacefully. She fought alongside us last night."

     "She's just saying," Susan said calmly. "It might be an elaborate plot."

     "She'd have killed me on the spot if she were a Telmarine. She'd not have sorrow painted on her face when she saw the fallen Narnians."

     It made sense. They dropped the subject of her side.

     "Well, when else did you see her?"

     He pretended to rack his brain despite these memories appearing vivid and wonderful every time so much as her name pops up. "When we first got back," he told them, "I saw her by the shore."

     "By the shore!" Lucy exclaimed. "First, on the beach, then swimming at night. You don't suppose she's a mermaid, do you?"

     Susan was laughing silently as Edmund thought that Lucy certainly had no preamble or restrictions in suggesting that. He didn't know how to feel about the idea, though, but certain facts seemed to tie together pretty well. He liked her enough, but then the thought of her not being a "daughter of Eve" would emit a slight hint of betrayal in his heart.

     This was stupid thinking. "I don't think she is, Lu."

     "It makes sense, though, admit it."

     He sighed and looked at the flowers in his hand. "Fine; I'll ask her later, though I seriously doubt it."

     Suddenly, Reepicheep's panting voice came yelling from the ground within the tall grass. "Your highness! Come quick! It's Caspian, and King Peter!"

     The attention of all three were diverted immediately. "What is it?" Lucy asked.

     "It's"—he heaves in and out—"King Edmund must come inside quickly. Caspian's got himself into trouble and High King Peter's going with him!"

     Edmund looked at his sisters, who gestured for him to leave if it was necessary. "Should we come along?" Susan asked.

     "No," the mouse said, finally gaining his breath. "I appreciate it, your majesty, but I think it's best King Edmund solved this. It has something to do with, er, a former enemy."

     Edmund's eyes widened, he knew whom Reepicheep was talking about. Immediately, he bid the flowers to Susan and ran back inside with Reepicheep.

     Susan looked at the bouquet now in her hand and faced Lucy. "You don't suppose they're talking about the White Witch?"

     "Hopefully not," her younger sister replied. "Where is everyone else, actually? I've only seen few of our people inside, and I know a lot survived last night."

     "They're out," Susan replied, recalling what one of the wives told her earlier. "Distractions, I think. It's been hard for them."

     Lucy looked at the rising hill in front of them, and saw a bull approaching. His name was Hugo, as she remembered. He carried a pile of wood on his arms, they greeted him with a smile.