Chapter 25

I included a link to a song in this chapter. I don't usually do that, but the radio was on while I finished this chapter, and it inspired me a bit, as well as helped me describe Loki and Noelle's relationship :) Anyways, Chapter 25! Cheers! 

The first few days of having to share my mind were difficult. Loki and I tried to keep to ourselves as much as we can, but the more we thought about keeping our thoughts to ourselves, the more we ended up thinking and not being able to.

And then there was another problem: Loki and I were unused to being so connected, feeling our own feelings and each other’s. It was overwhelming, always feeling Loki’s presence. And that was when we were away from each other. Being in the same room was harder.

It had happened a day after we stayed up all night figuring out what happened. We met in the library, as per usual, to practice magic. As I walked into the room, I could feel myself getting closer to Loki. It was like there was a tracker in my head, telling me if I was getting hotter or colder. I was maybe halfway across the room from him when I couldn’t get any closer. It wasn’t that I didn’t want to. My mind became so overwhelmed that I had to sit down on the floor. Loki ended up doing the same. Blood was roaring in my ears and I became dizzy.

It turns out that because we were so unused to being this close mentally and aware of it, when we got close physically, it sent our minds and emotions into overdrive. We ended up sitting there, not moving. Just staring at each other, trying to get a sense of things. It wasn’t easy.

But after a few days we started to adjust, and I didn’t notice Loki in my mind as much. It did take a little longer to not overwhelm ourselves by being in the same room, but we had to make an appearance together, or the Allfather would notice something.

We had kept our binding a secret. Loki doubted the Allfather would be able to sort out our souls again, and even if he could, I knew Loki didn’t want to face his father with another problem. I knew Loki didn’t want to feel like he had disappointed his father again.

Besides, Loki and I were adults; we could handle this on our own.

*******************************

Weeks later…

“Concentrate.” Loki said, silently pacing around me as I struggled to attempt creating an illusion of myself. I had improved in magic rapidly, due to the fact that Loki could show my mind what to do, instead of leaving me guessing.

I had been at it for days: trying to duplicate myself entirely. The first few times I duplicated myself, only my face or half my body showed up. It wasn’t very painful, but it was freaky.

I felt a shift in the air, which apparently signified something magical was happening around me. I kept my eye closed and tried to keep up my concentration, despite the fact that my head hurt. ‘Open your eyes.’ Loki whispered into my mind, cool and collected. I obeyed, coming face to face with a duplicate of my head, face, torso and lower body. My arms were missing.

I gasped, shaking my head, dispelling the illusion. Loki chuckled, amused. “Are you ever not going to be alarmed when you see another of yourself?”

I shook my head again, in response and to clear my mind. “I do not think so.” Loki and I tried to equally use our voices and our minds to communicate. People had already caught us in public just staring at each other, lost in space. It was something we had to adjust to seem normal.

“You’re getting better.” Loki grabbed my hands and drew me to him slowly. He planted a kiss on my lips. ‘Much better.’ I took a few deep breaths, before returning the kiss. It was still a bit overwhelming to have our minds connected while we were being intimate like this. Loki seemed to master more control than I did, but as I raised my hands to his chest, I could feel his heart fluttering.