Chapter 8

The Bifrost glowed as I was transported back to earth. I watched the colors around me, swirling and melding together. It was so pretty. I don’t think I’d ever get tired of watching this. It only took seconds, but it felt like hours had passed while I admired them.

I landed on me feet (just barely) and felt the pull of the Bifrost lessen. I looked around, took in my surroundings. Heimdall really is all knowing. I didn’t even have to tell him where to drop me off. He had left me in the perfect spot: My mom’s house.

I called it that because I paid rent here. I haven’t moved out yet, and I had thought about moving out when I finished my schooling, but that might not even happen now. If I was going to stay on Asgard, I would live there.

I looked around the living room. Grey carpet, black couch, and loveseat. Yup, I was definitely in my mom’s living room. “Mom.” I called. It was quiet. She was probably with a client. My mom was a wedding planner, and had a catering business on the side. I think because my parents were never married was the driving force for her to quit being a teacher and do what she does now. My mom was always talking about when I got married. I think when I started going out with Garrick, she hoped we would get married. But I’ve never thought about getting married. I know it’s something a lot of girls my age dream of, finding a guy who loves them and settling down. But I had never really felt that way about any guy.

I sat down on the couch, curling up to nap. The Bifrost really took a lot out of me. If I was going to wait, I might as well sleep.

***************************

A few hours later...

“Noelle? Is that you sweetheart?” I could hear my mom’s keys jingling. I stretched, rubbing my face. I must have been asleep for a while.

“Hey mom. How are you?” I stood up. She just looked at me for a few minutes. I looked down, forgetting I was wearing my Asgardian clothing. Then I was being smothered by a hug. 

“I knew it!” My mom cried. “I knew it! Some little voice in my head kept telling me so! You were in Asgard!”

“I was…the voice you heard was Heimdall.” I laughed. I had really missed my mom. Even though I didn’t think of her much in Asgard, when I did, I missed her.

She let me go. “Have you seen your father? I would have thought he would come say hello.” I was happy there was no bitterness in my mother. I knew she would always love my father, but they couldn’t be together. I didn’t know why, but that was what they both told me.

I shook my head. “No. The All-father told me he was away. He’s an ambassador.”

My mom nodded. “Well, sit! Tell me about Asgard!” She pulled me down on the couch to sit with her.

Where do I to start? “It’s so beautiful. The palace is exquisite, gold everywhere. The gardens…It’s indescribable. There is nothing like it on earth!”

“That was how your father described it as well. Have you made friends?”

I thought. “I’ve been hanging out with this guy…”

My mom’s eyes light up. Of course. She loved boy talk. “Who is he? Is he cute? What about Garrick? Are you two still fighting?”

Oh yeah. That’s right. Mom doesn’t know about the attack. “Garrick and I…we broke up. I didn’t want to be with him anymore.” I was pretty sure my boyfriend attacking me meant I broke up with him. I didn’t want to tell my mom about being attacked. It would just needlessly stress her out. “Anyways, his name is Loki. He’s a prince of Asgard.”