xxii. pride and joy

Start from the beginning

Kenzie was so focused on Reece that I didn't say anything to startle him, and he took Reece's head off. He'd get the electric chair after that.

Instead, I slowly crawled to the side of Reece and Kenzie moved the gun from his face to mine.

"Gorgeous," I said.

"Don't fucking test me right now Ashley," Kenzie snapped. "I ain't in the mood."

"Put the gun down, Gorgeous," I repeated. I felt Reece grab my hand, clasping them and lacing our fingers together. "Don't do anything that will get you into more trouble than you already are."

"So, you want me to ignore the fact that Dee is lying right on side of me, right in front of you, this nigga loved you fam. You ain't shed no tears? If you was lying here, he woulda been a fucking mess, Ashley."

"How do you want me to shed tears when my brother is pointing a gun at a billionaire. When news choppers are recording him. When, by this time tomorrow, he's either going to be in prison or in the morgue." I waited. I waited. I waited. "Speak" I shouted. "Tell me how I'm supposed to have a breakdown when my big brother is in trouble?"

I shook my hand from Reece's and placed in on Kenzie's shoulder. He shook it off. I did it again. He shook it off. I did it again. He shook it off. Again, and again and again, and again, and again until he got the picture and allowed it to rest, settle and stay.

He stayed the gun in my face. He always did aim a pistol at me when we were in a heated argument, but never did I think I was in any kind of danger.

"You are Gorgeous and I am Beautiful. Our mother named us that. Our mother, who is watching this on the news right now, with her hand on her chest, balling her eyes out, unable to help because our father is stuck at home."

"Stop. Calling. Me. Gorgeous." He cocked the gun. He never did that before.

"Gorgeous," I whispered. "I love you. I loved Dennis....and I can't..." my voice broke... "I can't even look him in the face anymore because he's gone and I never forgave him." I shook my head of the tears. No No No No No. This wasn't the time for crying. "But Dennis is gone. You are still here. We must live in spite of the bullshit, not throw ourselves away. Pain is inevitable, loss is more unavoidable than pain and death will come for all of us. Do not turn Dee's death into more grief. A mother has lost her son. Do not make it two mothers, Gorgeous. Do not become what they think you are."

I took my hand off of his shoulder and cupped my hands in front of him, under the gun. He held it shakily in between his hands. I was afraid he'd shoot me by accident, they trembled so much.

"Let's go home," I whispered to him. "Please."

Kenzie bit his lip. His eyes were watering. The first time I've ever seen anything resembling crying in years from him. His hands still shook violently.

But then he sighed. "Fuck it," he mumbled and uncocked the gun, removed the ammo and dropped the gun into my clasped hands. "I'm fucking sorry, Beautiful," he said. He dropped his head. I heard him sniff. His hands disappeared beneath his locks and looked as though they were trying to erase his eyes from his face.

I slid the gun to the side and stood up, with Reece bouncing up next to me. He opened and closed his eyes, relieved. "I thought we both were dead."

I huffed. "I did for a second too."

"Should I call the police over?" he asked.

I nodded. "Sure, do it after about three minutes," I replied, looking down at Kenzie. "Give us just three minutes."